On the Road to RV Safety

The warm weather is here! If you’re heading out for some camping over the next few days, here’s hoping you’ve got your gear and site reservations in place. But if you’re using a recreational vehicle (RV), you’ll need to take a few extra steps before you’re ready to go.

Whether you prefer a motorhome, travel-trailer or a pick-up camper, we’ve got a few basic tips to keep you and your RV safe on the highway.

Know how much weight you’re carrying

Your vehicle or trailer will have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), which you should be able to find in your owner’s manual. If you’re overloading your vehicle, you’ll be putting a lot of extra stress on tires, brakes and engine – stresses your vehicle wasn’t designed to handle. If you’re carrying anything heavy, keep it as low as possible, and try to keep the weight of your vehicle evenly distributed. Uneven loads can make driving difficult and dangerous. If you’re not sure how much your RV weighs, one option is to have it weighed at your nearest station. You can find a list of weigh stations here. You are only required to stop in at a weight scale if you have a licensed GVW exceeding 5,500kgs.

Make sure your vehicle is ready for the trip

You might be ready to get out on the road, but you need to make sure your vehicle is, too. Besides the obvious checks of your engine and brakes, make sure to look at your lights and signals as well as your tire pressure and your towing setup as well. The last thing you want is to have your vacation plans spoiled by mechanical problems.

Get informed and know before you go

Have a look at DriveBC and see if there’s any construction or other obstacles you might encounter on your journey. Don’t forget you can look up weather information and check out our traffic webcams there, too.

Also be sure to drop by our Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement Branch’s website. They have a lot of useful information on trailer and recreational vehicle towing as well as an excellent guide on gross vehicle weight ratings, brake requirements and Driver’s Licence Types For Recreational Vehicles.

Drive safe

This goes without saying, but it’s all the more important when driving a large vehicle or towing a trailer. Be sure to leave yourself lots of time to get where you’re going and don’t hurry. Remember, you’re driving with a big load, and the heavier it is, the harder it’ll be for you to stop! So keep an eye out for other drivers and make lots of room between you and the vehicle in front.

Share this page:SharingFacebookTwitterLinkedInCopy Text

Page 1 of 31 comments on “On the Road to RV Safety”

Leave a Comment

  1. Hi, I am planning to borrow a friend’s trailer from Alberta to haul some equipment to my property in BC. Do I need any permits or to stop at the scales?
    Should be well under the 5,500 GVW.

    • Hello – thanks for your question.

      Drivers of recreational vehicles must obey winter tire and chain signs throughout the province from October 1 to April 30. For select highways not located through mountain passes and/or high snowfall areas, tire and chain requirements end March 31.

      Sections of highways requiring winter tires or chains on board are marked with roadside signs. The symbol of the truck camper on the tires and chains sign represents all classes of recreational vehicles (RVs), including RVs that look similar to commercial buses.

      The minimum tire requirement for recreational vehicles is M+S tires, however we recommend carrying chains or having the vehicle equipped with other traction devices in case severe winter conditions are encountered.​

      Otherwise, consider waiting to travel over high mountain passes such as this one at Duffy Lake, until the risk of extreme winter weather passes.

      Here is a link to more information on winter driving and RVs. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/seasonal/winter-driving/recreational-vehicles

    • Hello Gigi,

      Thanks for connecting with us here. We reached out to our staff in the Commercial Transport division and they have advised they responded to your inquiry via email. Please let us know if you need anything further; otherwise, we will consider this question resolved. Thanks!

  2. Hi there,
    I am looking for information regarding fire safety with regards to RV’s and trailer parks (i.e., fire extinguisher requirements, minimum spacing between RV’s, fire rated materials that should be used, smoke detectors required, etc.). Anywhere I could find legislation or requirements?

  3. I once had to leave my rv on the side of the road, in the emergency lane, so that I could get a tire repaired in town. What are the legalities surrounding the parking of a detached trailer on the side of the road, and how would that differ if I would have maybe pulled into a rest spot, if I could have made it. I was a little worried because I couldn’t leave the lights activated on the trailer since I detached from it.
    Any suggestions?

    • Vehicles (and even trailers) left on the road side or in our rest areas are monitored and eventually reported by our staff to the RCMP (if they’ve been left for multiple days. We suggest that drivers who need to abandon a vehicle leave contact information for follow up, should something prevent them from returning to their vehicle. Hope this is helpful!

  4. I have two residences one in Bc and one in AB I just registered my truck in Bc after purchasing it in AB a year ago and did not have to pay the Pst if the same applies to my travel trailer do I have to pay PST to register it in BC?

  5. I need to know the drivers license regulations in terms of regulations pertaining to length, weight, brakes and engine types. Where can I find these regulations.

  6. Where can I find the correct information about seat belts rules for a camperised shuttle bus. There wasnt any seatbelts in mine when I got it. can I have passengers sitting at be dining table or bed while im driving?

    • Hi Phil,

      Thanks for your question about seatbelts for your camperized shuttle bus.

      Please direct your questions to RoadSafetyBC which is the BC government organization responsible for that aspect of motorist safety. You can reach them via:
      Toll Free: 1 855 387-7747
      Victoria Phone: 250 387-7747 or
      Email: RoadSafetyBC@gov.bc.ca

  7. Hi, Wondering were I can find out info./regulations on hauling a camper and what length of campers can be hauled. I have a 2003 Ford 4×4 – 4 door Ford 150. I’ve heard stories about not exceeding box length with the tailgate down?
    Thanks CVSC

    • Hi Johnny B,

      We have sent your question directly to the good folks at the CVSE and they will be responding directly to you. Thanks for connecting with us here.

  8. Now with the weigh stations located on the highways of our beautiful province, can a non commercial vehicle just stop at the scale and weigh their vehicle? If so what is the procedure to drive on it? Maybe someone from the CVSE can provide that kind of information.