This page provides additional information during significant events impacting travel on BC highways.
- Check DriveBC , your best source of current road information
- Check EmergencyInfoBC for information about provincial emergencies
- Check News Releases for Travel Advisories
Although less impactful now, wildfires continue to occur in parts of B.C., potentially impacting driving conditions. As British Columbia progresses into fall and winter, further hazards may emerge, particularly rain and flood related.
On this page:
South Okanagan – Summerland Rockslide
November 9, 2023
Crews are preparing for several upcoming blasting operations at the site of the Summerland Rockslide. Blasting can be expected 1-2 times per week through the first half of December. The schedule is contingent on ground conditions which are revealed by previous blasts, and each blast requires varying degrees of preparation, so blasts may not occur on the same day each week. The public will be notified as early as possible prior to each blast through DriveBC, which is the best source for information, as well as through traffic advisories and notices on the project website.
As often as possible, blasts will be scheduled from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., and will include a two-hour full traffic closure to ensure safe conditions for the travelling public and for crews on site. Larger blasts may require longer closures.
Crews have completed temporary work to allow traffic access through the site after the section of highway was closed Aug. 28, 2023 because of a rockslide. Approximately 3,000 cubic metres of material came down. Geotechnical engineers continue to monitor the slide site for changes in ground conditions.
- Highway 97 is OPEN to two-lane traffic, one in each direction, from Friday, September 22, 2023 at noon
- This portion of the road may be closed with limited notice if deemed unsafe – closures are more likely with heavy rainfall
- Oversized loads will be permitted to pass through the slide site starting September 15th
- They will only be permitted between 9 pm and 5 am and must be prescheduled
- A private vehicle detour by way of FSR 201 continues to be available.
Find information and maps on Summerland Rockslide project page.
Check for current highway condition and event information: DriveBC
- Highway 97 opens two lanes of traffic after rockslide – September 21, 2023
- Highway 97 open to single-lane-alternating traffic after rockslide – September 11, 2023
- Progress made toward partial opening of Highway 97 near Summerland – September 6, 2023
- Engineers continue to assess unstable slope above Highway 97 – September 1, 2023
- Additional Highway 97 detours in place following rockslide – August 31, 2023
- Highway 97 remains closed north of Summerland; assessments underway – August 30, 2023
Vancouver Island: Highway 4, Cameron Lake
- Work continues to stabilize the slope following a wildfire over the summer. There remains the potential for highway closures in response to anticipated high rains, winds, or other factors.
- Please watch Drivebc.ca for breaking closure information.
- More information is available at Highway 4 – Cameron Bluffs Recovery Project
Okanagan – Shuswap
September 21, 2023
- Highway 1 between Chase and Sorrento is OPEN. Please watch for wildlife and expect delays in the area due to remediation work.
Your primary sources of current highway and emergency information are:
Highway condition and event information: DriveBC