BC highway condition and event information is wide open.
Open511 that is.
That’s right. Valuable highway information (or data) such as: road closures and construction work, is now available to you as Open511– DriveBC.
What will you do with all this great data? We’re excited to find out.
What is Open511?
Open511 stems from the open data movement, which is basically the idea that certain data should be available in a standard format for everyone to use and republish without restriction. By encouraging the open sharing of our data, we hope to see the creation of new ideas and new tools that will prove invaluable to BC highway travellers.
The core components of Open511 are:
- a single, common format or standard,
- an Application Programming Interface or API, and
- a lightweight open source web app to manage and publish road event data.
Open511-DriveBC is the first Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Application Programming Interface (API) released by the province with data licensed under the Open Government License. You can find government data set information (and more information on open data in BC) at DataBC.
What does Open511 mean for you?
In a nutshell, Open511 means that any application or web developer can incorporate British Columbia’s provincial road event and condition information into their apps and that means seamless road event information for you.
Talk about an information highway – the potential for innovation is nearly unlimited!
With this important data in your hands, all that remains to be seen are the amazing things you will do with it. Looking for more information on this or any other transportation related question? Let us know in the comments below.
Want to learn more? Here’s some places to visit:
- Open511-DriveBC data is available at:http://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dataset/open511-drivebc-api
- DriveBC Open511 API Guidelines: http://api.open511.gov.bc.ca/help
- Know before you go and arrive safely by checking current conditions at:www.DriveBC.ca or by dialing 511
- B.C. on the Move is available online at:http://engage.gov.bc.ca/transportationplan/
- Open North information at: www.opennorth.ca