Hauling Permits Made Easy

Are you planning on hauling a large load in BC? Do you need a permit but don’t know where to go? Well look no further, we have your answer!

Our Provincial Permit Centre is a one-stop shop for all your hauling permit needs. Through their website, you can get:

• Single Trip permits, Overweight/Oversize permits
  • Single Trip, Non-Resident permits
  • Term Oversize permits
  • Motive Fuel User permits

Applying for permits online saves you time and money, and all it takes is a simple, one-time registration. Just go to the registration page and click the Online Permits Registration form link.

To complete the process, you’ll need:

1. An ICBC Client Number
  2. A valid Business BCeID
  3. An email account
  4. A phone number

If you don’t have an ICBC Client Number, you can call the BC Provincial Permit Centre at 1-800-559-9688 to get one. And if you’re missing a BCeID, you can get one here: https://www.bceid.ca. Once you’ve signed up, you can get your permits 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

If you have any questions about online permits, or you can’t find the one you need, Provincial Permit Centre staff are happy to help. You can contact them using the number above from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. The office is staffed seven days a week and is open most statutory holidays.

There is also a convenient brochure available for print and reference.

The Provincial Permit Centre – permits made easy!

Page 1 of 36 comments on “Hauling Permits Made Easy”

1. This is the worst system ever , waiting 10 plus hours for a permit is unacceptable. Figure it out ! Don’t tell me it’s because of covid it’s been almost 2 years !

• Hi there Kyle – thanks for connecting with us here. We are sorry to hear your frustration. We shared your concern with our staff in the permit centre and they confirmed that the Provincial Permit Centre is experiencing higher than normal call volumes at this time and unfortunately the wait times have increased tremendously. They have brought in extra staff and have hired more staff to help with mitigating the long wait times. Please note that there are other options to obtain a permit other than by phone – you could fax in your request to – 1-250-784-2426, or sign your company up to do online permits http://www.onlinepermitsbc.ca. We apologize for the delays and appreciate your patience and understanding.

2. Wanting to apply for an overwidth permit for a boat 10′ wide…can I do this online or do I contact the CVSE? Thanks

3. Is it possible to move the 20 wide by 76 modular home on Highway 16 from BC Alberta border to Houston British Columbia

• Hi Vic,

I suggest contacting our Provincial Permit Centre to go over your specific details:
      Phone:1-800-559-9688
      Email:PPCPermit@gov.bc.ca

4. Good morning.we would like to move a 20ft wide modular home from bc .alberta border to Houston bc. Via highway 16 . Is it possible to do with permits

• Hi Vic,

Phone:1-800-559-9688
      Email:PPCPermit@gov.bc.ca

5. We are looking at shipping a + 22ft wide x 40ft long Steel canopy from Surrey to W Pender in Vancouver. What are the requirements and is there a Max on Width.

• Hi there John – thanks for connecting with us here. We encourage you to connect directly with our folks in the CVSE to determine what things you need to take into consideration for shipping large loads on BC highways. https://www.cvse.ca/

6. I drove trucks for 20, a I really enjoyed it the only two problem I really bad with it was when the roads were privatizs I made it to just north of Quenal BC when I watched a pick up truck start doing 360s down a hill in no way was he driving to fast or dangerous I did see a lot more cars and trucks off the road but he was the only one that I seen in person after stopping to see if he was ok I had to keep going because I was running so late it was not 10 mins later that I was in a bad actsident my self I was coming down a hill on to a bridge when a longing truck was coming off The snow drifts from the rails went from the top down to the road over the sidewalk I had no choice but to play through the snow to try and get by the longing truck a eventually my drive tires bounce off the curb making me slide into the trailer load of logs I hit the fount of the logs and it pushed my mirror through my window and hit me on the slide go my head His trailer riped my two left side driver tires off and it also opened up the trailer like a tin can have way down the side throwing food slicer the road I was trying to clean up the road when the ambulance show Ed up and diode that t need to go to the hospital thanks for the towtruck driver showing the police what happened I could Have been in some trunk
    Trouble but we’ll going the hospital the ambulance driver was bitching about the roads and went the police pick me from the hospital she was as bitching about not being able to stop a red light it’s better now than in the beginning. But I think more could be done I agree with you very much that all drivers should be text by a school there is just to much information that a friend can’t teach you the same goes for a class 6 drive r they need to know a lot more about m the operation of a big truck like how sometimes two lines are needed and to hat it takes a long time for it to come to a stop like a plane very driver should be shown on how to chain up and carry extra tools food and clothing I broke down north of Toronto at -40 I was stuck there for for hrs

7. I need to transport 600 litres of diesel as a regular basis to supply machinery on different job sites. Please will appreciate if someone can tell me what kind of permit do I need and where I could get it. Thanks

• Good morning Oscar,

Thanks for connecting with us here.

Please contact the Provincial Permit Centre.

Phone:1-800-559-9688
      Email:PPCPermit@gov.bc.ca

8. I have a load that is 16 feet long and 10 feet wide going to Alberta do I need a permit and if so do I need one for both provinces?

9. I live in BC and I am looking to import an RV trailer that is 42ft long. Is there a permit I can apply for that will allow me to transport it just twice a year within BC?

10. Why dont you just redirect all the questions to CVSE in the first place seeing how most of the questions you cant answer? Call it dont ask me, I cant make sense of it either!! LOL

• Hi Ray and thanks for the suggestion! We do have the CVSE contact info included in the blog, but we try to be as helpful as we can and if folks come to us with a question here, we try to make the answer available here as well, in case others might have the same issue.

11. I am looking at towing my personal boat from Washington to Juneau, Alaska, through British Columbia. The boat is 28 feet long and 9 feet 9 inches wide. What permits are needed? What kind of restrictions are there?

• Hi Mark – thanks for connecting with us here. This sounds like a question best sent directly to the CVSE.

Here is their contact information:

CVSEgeneralinquiry@gov.bc.ca

General Enquiries
      Telephone: 250 953-4017 or 250 953-4073
      Commercial Transport Manager
      Telephone: 250 953-4026
      Fax: 250 952-0578

Provincial Permit Centre (onRouteBC)
      Toll-Free: 1 800 559-9688

• We are going to be hauling a boat and trailer behind our Honda Pilot from Port Alberni to Kelowna. Is it possible just to get a permit to do that or do we require to have it insured

12. Hi we want pick up empty super b trailer from Surrey bc we have Alberta plates and no Prorate’s I just wondering do we need any permit to bring empty trailer back to Alberta plz advice?

• Hi Rick,

Please connect directly with the CVSE on this. Here is their contact info:

Commercial Transport

General Enquiries
      Telephone: 250 953-4017 or 250 953-4073
      Commercial Transport Manager
      Telephone: 250 953-4026
      Fax: 250 952-0578

Email: Commercial.Transport@gov.bc.ca

• Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your question about hauling an 11-foot wide boat. I’ll check in with someone about that, and get back to you here.

• Hi Jennifer,

Hauling an 11’ wide boat (3.35 m) would require a permit to travel on provincial roadways, which can be obtained from the Provincial Permit Centre at 1-800-559-9688. At that width you will have route restrictions and may need a pilot car, as per the permit conditions on the CVSE1000 – http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/forms/getForm.aspx?formId=1251. There may be additional restrictions depending on the overall length and height, please contact commercial.transport@gov.bc.ca to confirm those details. You will also need to contact any relevant municipalities for travel on their roadways.

13. Hi I am doing some preliminary research for a custom project that will need to be transported to the west coast from central Alberta along the Yellow Head highway to Prince Rupert.
    The boat design I am looking at the completed dimensions are 20′-4″ wide X 85′ long. Would I be able to obtain a one time super-load permit for such a move?

14. I am trying to use the online registration form for permits but cannot get the site to open, have tried several times for a couple weeks. Please advise

• Hi Jeff Dawn,

Access to the Online Permits Registration requires that you have the following information in place:

To apply for a permit using Online Permits, you must complete a simple one-time registration process. This registration is available to all clients that have requested and received permits in B.C.

To complete the Online Permits registration, you will require the following:

An ICBC Client number. If you do not have an ICBC Client Number, call the BC Provincial Permit Centre at 1-800-559-9688 to get one.
      A valid Business BCeID account. If you do not have a Business BCeID account, you can apply for one at the BCeID Website at http://www.bceid.ca/ or call the BCeID Helpdesk at 1-888-356-2741 for more information. The attached guide is intended to help you complete the “Getting Started” section of the Business BCeID registration process.

An e-mail account
      A phone number

If you have all the above information in place and are still having problems accessing the system, please contact:

Online Registration (Enquiries Only):
      Phone: 1-800-559-9688 (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday)

The system is occasionally offline, but there is a notification on the page when this is the case.

If you receive an access denied message then you probably have missed one of the steps above. Hope that this helps!