Tell Us How to Make BC Transportation Better

Customer Service 2016

Customer service is a major part of what we do at the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. From maintaining highways to handling development approvals, our goal is to provide the best service we can.

Of course, there’s always room for improvement. That’s why we’re asking you to help make us better by taking our 16th annual Customer Satisfaction Survey, open from June 28 to Sept. 3, 2019.

Last year, we received more than 3,800 responses from folks across the province, including face-to-face interviews with district staff. We learned a lot about what matters to you, including:

• Highway signage and line markings
  • Cycling infrastructure
  • Commercial vehicle safety and enforcement
  • Traffic management
  • Rest areas
  • DriveBC webcams… and more

This year’s survey builds upon previous years, and includes opportunities for respondents to provide feedback on their customer service experience if they have interacted with the ministry in the last 12 months.

Your written feedback provides a wealth of information and like previous years, the survey continues to include an open comment section for you to share more detailed thoughts on the ministry’s services.

We’re sending the survey directly to stakeholders and others that we have worked with over the past year, so keep an eye on your email inbox for an invitation to complete the survey. Or, take the online survey now – it is open to everybody and takes about 10 minutes. Additionally, our district staff will be conducting the survey in-person over the summer – you may just spot us at a rest stop during your travels! If so, feel free to stop by and say “hi”.

Help us focus our efforts on what matters most to you. What do we need to improve on? What are we doing right? You tell us.

Tags: , , , ,

42 Responses to Tell Us How to Make BC Transportation Better

1. Ron on September 8, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Hopefully you can provide me with a solution with these bonehead drivers who always tailgating me with an N sign behind my car, happens everyday on the road of pinetree way to lougheed hwy and hwy 1 and not only that on the stop light vehicle behind me were very very close and at night time with a very bright headlights almost blinded me! these drivers are bullies on the road or highways doesn’t even know who are they? this is very frustrating situation! especially i’m always leaving a quite distance that i can see the ground underneath the vehicle infront of me but looking on my rearview mirror i couldn’t see anything its just the front bumper of a pick up truck!

2. Anonymous on September 1, 2019 at 1:15 am

Firstly I would like to see a sign at all Alberta-BC border crossings reminding them to maintain a safe following distance in the same way there are reminders that seatbelts are compulsory in BC. At certain times especially in the morning and evening while game is trying to cross the road someone following too close is likely to cause an accident if one has to slow down quickly. In general I would like to see enforcement of reckless driving prioritized over speed alone a distracted driver going at or under the limit is more dangerous than a focused driver going a few over for example. I know you dont handle enforcement but I dont think such signs would be very hard to manufacture and install. I dont know if Albertan standards are different from ours but they follow way too closely for our roads.

Secondly I think the exploration of summer speed limits would be a good idea. For example where I live the stretch of highway 3 between Jaffray and Cranbrook as any local can verify can be very safely driven at 110-115 km/h in summer conditions, a large number maybe even a majority of vehicles can be seen going at least 110 and I dont think people should be punished if the speed is safe for the conditions. Some US states i’ve traveled to have this implemented and it seems to work.

Thirdly I think an option of a highway between Golden and Valemount connecting highway 95 to highway 5 should be at least explored. Its always stuck out to me as a very glaring missing link in the highway system and the way the highway system is now someone travelling from the southeast Interior to the northeast has to go all the way through Kamloops and back over. It might not be possible to build such a highway but I haven’t been able to find record of anybody ever even having looked into the possibility.

Fourthly I think that while in the right lane of a passing section people should be asked to slow down say to 90 from 100. That way it will give people who want to pass especially when passing long lines of campers and semi the ability to do so without speeding excessively.

Thank you for your time.

• tranbceditor on September 3, 2019 at 11:45 am

Thank you for this feedback Christof – we appreciate you taking the time to share these concerns with us. You are correct, we are not responsible for enforcement and ICBC is responsible for driver education, however; we do sign BC highways, and try in our way to educate the travelling public in BC of our regulations etc. We will share your feedback forward with our engineering group for review and consideration. Many thanks!

3. Anonymous on August 18, 2019 at 8:37 pm

Hello,

I am writing for two reasons. For one, I would like to to acknowledge that I really appreciated the yellow poles that were installed on the Malahat drive on Vancouver Island. It has made the Malahat drive a lot safer. Thank you!

Second, I would like to bring to mind a phenomenon that seems to be getting worst on this island in the past years. Tailgating.
    I have driven all over the world and I have never seen people tailgating at such a dangerously high speed like here on the island. It forces everyone to drive above the speed limit because the person behind you is 5 inches from your car and you are trying to avoid a collision. It is absolutely insane.
    I see cars driving at 130km with less than 1 meter distance between them and the car in front of them. It is stressful for everyone on the road. My hope for the future is that there is some law enforcement around tailgating – cause seriously it is just a form of bullying (one that puts everyone’s life at risk).
    I would love it, if there could be some funding for psycho-education around safe car distances. Panels, adds, posters, youtube videos, whatever it takes?
    The drive from Victoria to Duncan is especially in need of some attention!

Thank you very much. I appreciate you guys being open to feedback 🙂

• tranbceditor on August 19, 2019 at 11:44 am

Hello Anonymous and thanks so much for your feedback!
      We are happy to hear that you find the recent improvements on the Malahat make your drive safer 🙂
      Regarding the issue of tailgating – unfortunately that falls under the responsibility of ICBC (driver education) and the BC RCMP (enforcement).
      We encourage you to share your concerns directly with them and identify the locations as well, so that they can follow up locally.
      Thanks again and safe travels!

4. Ed Brown on August 17, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Hello;
    I would like to recommend that BC consider building an alternate highway route from Prince George area to the heritage highway near tumbler ridge to provide an alternate route to get from Prince George to the peace river area in case of washouts that have occurred in recent years on highway 97 between chetwynd and pine pass

Several times I have been forced to return to the peace district through Alberta by Grande Cache which is a drive of approximately 1000 km vs the 300 km normally required

This would become more important with the upcoming lng and pipeline projects planned for the area if the highway 97 washes out again

• tranbceditor on August 20, 2019 at 9:48 am

Hello Ed and thank you for your message. We have shared your comment forward with our local area staff for review and consideration.

5. Anonymous on August 16, 2019 at 7:41 am

You need auxiliary lighting in the tunnels in Rogers Pass when the lights are being turned off for whatever reason.espevially on bright sunny days upon entering the longest tunnel east of ysummi

• tranbceditor on August 16, 2019 at 11:11 am

Hi there Anonymous and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the tunnels in Rogers Pass fall under the jurisdiction of Parks Canada and the federal government. We encourage you to connect directly with them regarding your concern here: jasper.dispatch@pc.gc.ca

6. Tony Lamley on August 10, 2019 at 10:07 pm

A search engine would be useful, eg there is work planned locally for Crofton Road on August 19, 20 and 21. HoweverI can not find evidence of what is taking place.

• tranbceditor on August 12, 2019 at 10:50 am

Thank you for this feedback Tony!

7. Mindy Thompson on August 9, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Every Friday afternoon, especially on long weekends, the intersection of Deloume Road and Hwy 1 in Mill Bay becomes backed up to the previous intersection of Frayne and Hwy 1, with traffic sitting idling and spewing fumes into the air. I have sat at this intersection and recorded the length of each green light for the Hwy traffic and it equates to 28 seconds of green light before turning yellow then red. The cross road lights appear to be vehicle driven, as opposed to timed, for an efficient flow of traffic. Having a hundred vehicles sitting idling in traffic in a rural community seems far more harmful environmentally then a small handful of vehicles sitting waiting for the hwy traffic to clear out. There is 3 intersection lights in less than 2km on a major Hwy. If the lights are not synced and on a timer setting, once one light changes red, it doesn’t matter if the others behind it are green because there is no forward movement of traffic and before you know it traffic is backed up several hundred vehicles, all idling and crawling towards the intersection. Because this is a weekly occurrence, drivers have now begun driving down the 2 smaller 2 lane side roads that run parallel to the Hwy and then force the cross road traffic lights green more and more. Not to mention, these smaller side roads can’t and shouldn’t have to handle the increased traffic. Can you advise if syncing traffic lights is a possibility and if so who in our small community is responsible for implementing that?

• tranbceditor on August 12, 2019 at 10:47 am

Hello Mindy and thanks for your comment. We have sent your concern to our local area staff for review. Stay tuned.

• tranbceditor on August 13, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Hello again Mindy,

We spoke with our electrical and traffic engineering group and they confirmed that they have recently optimized the signal timings at Deloume intersection, and will monitor the intersection to see if any additional changes are required/merited. Thanks again for connecting with us here. If you have any other questions or concerns, let us know. Safe travels.

8. Ruben Johnson on August 6, 2019 at 4:40 pm

in the kootenay region area 10 we have major detioration of the south bridge approach of the big orange bridge, photos nd e mails have been sent to the highways operations minister, district highways manager and road and bridge contractor, and no repeir are done to date report dated back 3 months

• tranbceditor on August 9, 2019 at 2:39 pm

Hi Ruben,

I have been advised by the West Kootenay District Engineer that both YRB bridge staff and our ministry Bridge Area Manager have recently completed inspections of this structure and have found no cause for concern. Structures are inspected a minimum of twice annually and our records show that there have not been any areas of acute degradation on the Big Orange Bridge. We will continue to monitor and plan rehabilitation and maintenance works as required.

9. Tim Deaton on August 6, 2019 at 10:39 am

1. How about education – Teach people how to merge without screwing up all the traffic behind them. Maybe a few commercials, you tube videos, or actual exam questions on drivers exams.
    2. Change some of the merge to the left signs, to Zipper merge signs. One example is the West bound exit lanes on the Port Mann Bridge. Those 2 lanes should zipper merge, it flows faster if everyone is on the same page.
    3. Actual speed enforcement on the #1 highway instead of active signs. The speed limit means nothing if there’s no enforcement.
    4. More education – How about teaching the 2 second rule for tailgating? I hate it when people tailgate me, then pass me and jump in front of me with not enough room between me and them.

• tranbceditor on August 6, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions to improve safety and traffic flow.

1) Zipper merge education: We do have a blog about merging like a zipper on this website, and promote it via our social media channels (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram): https://www.tranbc.ca/2013/01/02/how-to-merge-safely-on-a-highway/ Please be aware that driver licensing and testing is the responsibility of ICBC.

2) Merge Like a Zipper signs: I will forward your suggestion about replacing the “merge to the left” signs with zipper merge signs on the Port Mann Bridge, to our people responsible for that area.

3) Enforcement of speed limits: Traffic enforcement is provided by local police and/or the RCMP (not this organization). I suggest you contact your local police force if you have concerns about a specific area.

4) Education about safe following distances: We have a blog about this that we promote, and share that blog and messages about allowing more stopping time, particularly in winter. ICBC also has a role in safety education and this web page includes the two-second rule : https://www.icbc.com/road-safety/crashes-happen/Pages/Speed.aspx

Given your interest in increased education about the zipper merge and safe following distances, we’ll give them some extra promotion on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram platforms over the next few weeks.

Safe journey!

10. Richard P on August 5, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Hello,

I commute to Vancouver from White Rock daily. I use Oak Street to the downtown core. If moving traffic is of priority, why is parking permitted on Oak street at any time? Also, how possible is it to time the lights and increase the speed to at least 60kmh? Taking parking away off of Hemlock as well would help expedite things as well. Thanks.

• tranbceditor on August 8, 2019 at 10:07 am

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your comments relating to parking on Oak Street in the City of Vancouver.

While the province does work with its municipal partners on initiatives related to the movement of goods and people, the authority for road use within municipalities lies with the local government.

I would encourage you to submit your comments to the City of Vancouver at https://vancouver.ca/your-government/contact-the-city-of-vancouver.aspx

Regards

11. Peter Veres on August 3, 2019 at 10:33 am

You will need to increase the amount of rest areas available as the trucking industry will be using electronic logging devices and drivers will be running out of hours in more and more random places in order to maximize their services. The rest areas should include running water facilities wherever possible.

• tranbceditor on August 6, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments about the number of rest areas in BC, and the impacts of electronic logging devices. I am forwarding them to our people in Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement, and the people responsible for rest areas, for their consideration.

12. Jennifer S. on August 1, 2019 at 8:41 pm

Could there please be some enforcement of the bus lane southbound onto the Lionsgate Bridge on ramp from the north shore side in Vancouver? It is supposed to be for buses and motorcycles only.

I was stuck in traffic yesterday on Marine Drive and then the on ramp at 4 pm for about 15 minutes. Just volume, there wasn’t an accident. In that time, six passenger cars zoomed past the 400 or so of us waiting our turn like we were chumps! The final straw for me was when the car behind me cut across, a hairs-breath from my car, to speed past me in the bus lane. They do it with impunity, knowing there is no enforcement.

We need cameras for enforcement given how tight everything is there. I don’t know where you could place an RCMP officer without making the congestion even worse.

• tranbceditor on August 2, 2019 at 11:07 am

Hi Jennifer. I can certainly pass on your concern to local ministry staff. Police, however, are responsible for enforcing driving laws. As for enforcement cameras, the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General is responsible for the Intersection Safety Camera Program, which enforces speed limits and red lights. Here’s the latest news release about the recently expanded program: https://news.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/bcs-intersection-safety-camera-program
      When it comes to cameras, our ministry only operates the DriveBC network of highway webcams, which is designed to give travellers a look at traffic, weather, and other highway conditions: http://drivebc.ca/mobile/webcams/index.html

13. Kirsten on August 1, 2019 at 4:18 pm

Hello, I live in William’s lake and I have family in revelstoke. My family that lives with me only has 1 vehicle to share so I can never make it too see family that lives elsewhere. My question would be is there plans in the future for transportation that can transport people to revelstoke from William’s lake?

• tranbceditor on August 2, 2019 at 10:51 am

Hi Kirsten. The ministry and the Passenger Transportation Board continues to encourage private operators or interested parties to apply to the Passenger Transportation Board for an intercity bus licence to cover any route in BC that is currently without coverage. The Passenger Transportation Board, an independent tribunal, publishes all applications and status (approved, in-progress) on their website: https://www.ptboard.bc.ca/bus.htm
      I took a look on the website – it looks like a route between Williams Lake and Kamloops has been approved (Gertzen Ventures Ltd), and there is currently a route between Kamloops and Revelstoke operated by Rider Express.
      Hope this helps!

14. Le Toya on July 25, 2019 at 10:50 am

Hi there, this Le Toya I live along BC-6 fortunately/unfortunately I’m right next to the entrance of Crescent Valley Beach Regional Park. Right now as I type there is an older gentleman who pulls up in his camper trailer between 8 and 9 am in the morning with a cargo trailer of honey towed in full by the camper. A honey stand. Unfortunately for me out of all the parking that park has to offer he parks next to the park boundary fence at the entrance, on the other side of that fence is my driveway, parallel to all of this is my front room window. So now I have this front row seat view inside his camper as he sits there all day 15 ft away staring in no other direction that he can which is a front row seat view of my living room and he leaves at precisely 4 pm daily 7 days a week. I fully support his road side honey stand but not next to my house. I’ve tried to tolerate it and look past it but there is no looking past it because it’s right there in full view and that’s the view I have instead of the beautiful park which is blocked by his camper trailer. I’ve expressed my uneasiness and want for some privacy and in response the gentleman mentioned that to my landlord and has now caused some grief between my landlord and on my housing situation. Those are some of my concerns. I would like to see some safety regulations enforced for that part of hwy 6 as I’ve witnessed a hiccup in traffic flow due to the gentleman who parks his honey stand in an undesignated parking spot at the entrance of this Regional Park. The entrance was designed for 2 lanes. Entering and exiting. Because this gentleman parked right at the entrance he has created a wall for vehicles entering, some of these vehicles stop traffic on hwy 6 for fear of not enough space to enter as vehicles are trying to exit. It would be terrible should emergency vehicles need access to the park due to high volume in beach goers during the summer months. This honey stand completely interferes with the flow of traffic in both directions. There seems to be no consideration for the residents privacy or any consideration for the interruption in traffic. A business tactic I’m sure so I’ve yet to see one of many ambulances, fire trucks and any emergency service vehicles using this hwy become blocked by vehicles in both direction in order to boost sales. Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards

Le Toya

• tranbceditor on July 26, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Hi La Toya – thanks for your comment. As per our discussion on Facebook – we are letting you follow up with other municipal options on your concerns. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

15. Marguerite Tamblyn on July 9, 2019 at 5:45 pm

The Regional District of the Southern Okanagan is proposing to extend an established bus route: the Penticton to Summerland route, and to extend the service to West Kelowna. Their proposal does not include a stop in Peachland, even though Peachland has an established route from West Kelowna to Peachland. Our disabled son requires bus service from Penticton to Peachland. Without a Peachland stop on this proposed extension, he will be unable to access the service. Is there someone from MOTI who could propose the common-sense proposal of a stop in Peachland for this bus route extension?
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Marguerite Tamblyn

• tranbceditor on July 10, 2019 at 10:29 am

Hi Marguerite. Thank you for your comment, and for your commitment to improving public transit in BC. While the province is a funding partner of transit services, decisions on routes, stops, and frequency of service is the responsibility of our local government partners. In this case, the decision on where the route stops is up to the Regional District of the Southern Okanagan in consultation with BC Transit. I suggest contacting the Regional District, as well as local government representatives in Peachland to ensure that your concerns are heard by those undertaking the proposal. Community engagement is key in determining transit services, so we will pass along your comment as well.

16. Pauline Liste on July 5, 2019 at 7:31 pm

I want you to do something about all the speeding on the secondary rural roads. I would like to have speed bumps installed on Ruffels Road in Errington
    Since the installation of the lights on Church Road the increase in our traffics is beyond the double point. The amount of delivery services and service trucks is increasing constantly. We have logging trucks as well as the local cedar mill exit vehicles. One past resident on Bellevue which is the access before Ruffels road attempted to slow traffic with a nail belt across the road. This is desperation… he subsequently sold and moved. I am writing on behalf of the residents here as well as throughout the rural areas. As taxpayers we should be entitled to live a quiet peaceful rural existence, instead we have constant speeding which is extremely noisy….The resident closer to the corner of Ruffels and Leffler has attempted to block the noise by building a huge berm in his front yard, others have put up concrete fencing. I note that in areas of urban residences there are speed bumps so this is not impossible. Please don’t wait for an election and use this as a promise we need these now.

• tranbceditor on July 9, 2019 at 11:40 am

Hi Pauline,

Thanks for your comments about Ruffles Road, in Errington.

The ministry does not install speed bumps or traffic calming features on our roadways. Our mandate is to provide smooth and efficient traffic flow for all types of road users. Speed bumps and traffic calming features reduce the efficiency and flow of traffic.

As with anything, there are drawbacks to installing bumps. The biggest ones revolve around their impact on maintenance, snow plowing, bus routes, emergency response vehicles, water ponding and goods movement. We don’t want the installation of a safety device to create an even worse hazard condition such as standing water that creates a hydroplane hazard, ice build-up due to plowing, or slow response times by emergency services. Emergency services are generally quite opposed to speed bumps.

It should also be noted that just like any other feature on a flat road surface like a pot-hole, installing a bump in a roadway is introducing a potential hazard. This is why speed humps need warning signs, and other markings to make them conspicuous. An errant driver hitting a speed hump too fast risks losing control.

17. Connie Thompson on July 4, 2019 at 9:13 am

The highway between the Inland Highway where it joins the old Island Highway just south of Parksville, B.C. and extends to the Nanaimo Parkway needs to be addressed. People travelling on this section still want to travel at 100kl plus not realizing that it is no longer the Inland Highway. Many accidents on a regular basis on this stretch especially around the PetroCan – Northwest Bay Road lights. In the winter it is a nightmare. The Inland Highway needs to be extended to the Nanaimo Parkway to allow this largely rural section of the highway return for the people who live in this area to travel in a safe manner. Those of us who live adjacent to the highway and have to use it to travel either north or south place our lives in danger everytime to access the highway where there are no merge lanes!!

• tranbceditor on July 5, 2019 at 9:51 am

Thanks for your comments, Connie.
      I will share them with the local district but I also encourage you to take the Customer Satisfaction Survey and include them in there. Survey: https://survey.th.gov.bc.ca//TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=css2019#

• Ken on July 28, 2019 at 7:36 am

Hi Connie, that section of road runs through indigenous land and no agreement has apparently been reached to expand the highway, or add any merge lanes… unfortunately. There is no alternate route either. The intersection at the Petro Canada gas station in Nanoose could be improved. I never have any trouble driving in that area, but I do pay attention to cross traffic and you merging.

18. Nick Thomas on July 3, 2019 at 6:08 am

Need to get more accurate and up to date information on Drive BC. For example yesterday there was an MVI on Highway 97 just north of Kelowna that blocked traffic for some time causing long tailbacks and it didn’t get the hint of a squeak on Drive BC. Similarly there was recently a closure on Highway 1 west of Salmon Arm that didn’t get a mention on Drive BC.

I understand that if an MVI happens after 4pm when your maintenance contractors go off shift in summer you are relying on the RCMP to inform you of the incident. However, surely you and the RCMP ought to be able to sort this out.

• tranbceditor on July 3, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Hi Nick,

With respect to a motor vehicle incident north of Kelowna, on July 2 and 3, DriveBC reported: “Highway 97, southbound. There is a multi-vehicle incident at Airport Way (Kelowna). Southbound lane closure. Both South bound lanes are closed. Detour available from Airport Way to University Way. Last updated Wed Jul 3 at 12:05 PM PDT. (DBC-9768)”
      This event was first reported at 05:16 PM, Tue Jul 2.

Without more detail, we’re not able to look into the closure you mentioned west of Salmon Arm.

Our contractors work 24/7/365. There are specific response times for updating of DriveBC, and while contractor updates to DriveBC are required at 7 am and 4 pm in the summer, they must also provide updates immediately in certain circumstances, including when there is an incident or condition that leads to closure of the highway or lane closures. Updates must also be made immediately when there are traffic delays, changes in visibility, driving conditions deteriorate, or when adverse weather could lead to unsafe highway conditions.

Obviously, there will be a slight delay from the time the contractor learns of an incident, to actually updating DriveBC.

Police may also notify ministry staff or our maintenance contractors of incidents.

19. Cam on July 2, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Hi there, I’m from Coombs Bc on Vancouver Island I drive from parksville to Port Alberni a lot. In the last year hi ways installed cement barricades all the way around Cameron lake. By doing this it stops anyone from pulling over to the side of the road. In a lot of spots there is 12 feet of shoulder behind the barricades where people could park and enjoy the lake. Now for my kids and I we have to try and do a u-turn to park on the wrong side of the road and cross traffic just to swim. There’s a ton of traffic and with the barricades if a car or semi truck dies they can’t even pull over, now the hiway is blocked…. I have seen this twice just this week. Seems like we are not allowed to enjoy are lake since there is only 2 small spots to stop around the whole lake. There is no need for theses barricades in many of the spots and it confines the road. There was a lot of people that feel the same way. The next question I have is in the areas of Coombs and Errington the grass grows rite to the pavement, should the grass be higher than the pavement? Is there not a Law that states there’s to be so much shoulder on a road make of gravel? Seems like walkers and kids have no choice but to be on the road. Are area is run into the ground. Stop signs you can’t see from trees the brush cutter used to cut, there’s trees that hit your mirrors and the ditches have trees in them. The brush cutter cuts two feet of grass now Sorry to bitch so much but with fire season coming I don’t understand why the shoulders are neglected so bad. Would they not be held liable for this? Is there not mandatory guidelines?

• tranbceditor on July 3, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Hi Cam,

Thank you for your comments about Hwy 4.

The barricades were installed as part of a safety project the ministry completed last year around the Cameron Lake section. The barriers were installed as a result of the numerous “off road right” accidents happening where vehicles would go off road and into the lake. There are at least two sections where there is adequate parking along the lake beside the barriers, however when the barriers were installed, it did reduce some of the extra shoulder area in some sections. This was the trade off for ensuring the corridor was safer and reducing those types of accidents.

There are designated accesses to Cameron Lake beaches at the provincial park location. Utilizing these accesses is much preferred, as opposed to parking on the shoulder and crossing highway traffic. While the barriers may reduce the width of shoulder at some locations, this may have been required due to the strength of the shoulder where the barrier was placed. Essentially, the shoulder must be able to handle the weight of the barrier string. This may help explain why there is a distance from the barrier to the slope edge.

The addition of the barrier did not change lane widths, but it may have reduced shoulder widths in some locations. It has always been the case that vehicles which become disabled, block traffic in this section of roadway.

The maintenance contractor is required to mow the shoulders and provide brushing to comply with sight distance and roadside drainage requirements defined in the ministry’s maintenance specifications. There are many locations on our highways where vegetation grows to the pavement edge along already gravelled shoulders, in fact this is quite common during the spring and summer season. The maintenance contractor does mow the vegetation.

Mowing and brushing activities for the Coombs, Highway 4 and 4A areas are planned. The maintenance contractor was on their way out to this area when they were shut down due to the “extreme” fire danger rating a few weeks ago. We understand that this hazard rating has now been downgraded to “high”, which will allow brushing and mowing to resume (unless the fire danger rating increases).

• ken on July 28, 2019 at 7:42 am

Can you tell us if the barrier installed along Cameron Lake on Highway 4 meets the Ministry’s barrier warrant? It doesn’t appear as though it does and it looks more like the Ministry installed the barrier to prevent access to the lake. Also, was the concrete barrier placed with the proper offset and flares?

• tranbceditor on July 30, 2019 at 11:57 am

Hi Ken,

Thanks for asking about the barrier on Highway 4.

The barriers were not installed to block access to Cameron Lake; they were installed as a safety measure. They prevent further incidents where vehicles have gone off the highway and into Cameron Lake.

The ministry does follow barrier warrants when deciding to install roadside or median barrier, however, there are circumstances where roadside barrier can be installed where it mitigates a safety issue, including beside permanent bodies of water, as noted in the geometric design guide for Canadian roads (TAC) manual. The concrete barrier along Cameron Lake was completed by the ministry’s Field Services group and was placed with the correct offset and flares.

The barrier does not prevent lake access along the highway, however it is recommended that drivers wishing to visit Cameron Lake use the parking areas, and provincial park accesses.