Tell Us How to Make BC Transportation Better

Customer Service 2016

Customer service is a major part of what we do at the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. From maintaining highways to handling development approvals, our goal is to provide the best service we can.

Of course, there’s always room for improvement. That’s why we’re asking you to help make us better by taking our 16th annual Customer Satisfaction Survey, open from July 22 to September 30.

Last year, we received more than 3,350 responses from folks across the province, including 345 face-to-face interviews with district staff. We learned a lot about what matters to you, including:

• Highway signage and line markings
  • Cycling infrastructure
  • Commercial vehicle safety and enforcement
  • Traffic management
  • Rest areas
  • DriveBC webcams… and more

This year’s survey builds upon previous years, and includes opportunities for respondents to provide feedback on their customer service experience if they have interacted with the ministry in the previous 12 months. In order to gather detailed metrics about DriveBC use, a series of new questions this year also ask about how users access the system and what features they most commonly use.

Your written feedback provides a wealth of information, and like previous years, the survey continues to include open comment sections for all questions asking to rate ministry services on a scale.

We’re sending the survey directly to stakeholders and others we’ve worked with over the past year, so keep an eye out in your email inbox. Or, take the online survey now – it’s open to everybody and takes about 10 minutes. If you can’t take the electronic survey, our district staff can conduct the survey in person over the summer; and you may just spot us at a rest stop during your travels, too.  If so, feel free to stop by and say “hi.”

Help us focus our efforts on what matters most to you. What do we need to improve on? What are we doing right? You tell us.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to Tell Us How to Make BC Transportation Better

1. Cody on January 16, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Hi, I am from Fort St John and my family frequently makes trips to Grande Prairie, Alta. for shopping and such. I have to say that I have noticed that almost the second one crosses the BC/Alberta border, the shoulder on the 2-lane, undivided highway grows at least half a meter on either side. In BC we should also be building highways with wide shoulders like this. From what I have seen driving throughout the province (I drove highway 97 between Fort St John and Prince George multiple times this summer) the shoulders average maybe half of the width of the shoulders in Alberta. Driving with wide shoulders is much safer; if you break down or get pulled over by the RCMP, you can move your vehicle completely out of the flow of traffic so other vehicles do not have to swerve (so much) to avoid you. In BC, if you pull onto the shoulder, your vehicle is partly blocking the flow of traffic which can have deadly consequences if someone behind you is not paying proper attention. Also, let’s not forget about keeping our cyclists safe!

Additionally, I strongly believe that we should be twinning highways at all places where it is reasonably feasible to do so rather than four-laning. I realize that BC is a more mountainous province than Alberta or Saskatchewan, but that hasn’t stopped Alberta from twinning the highway in the the heart of the mountains in Banff. Fort St. John area is no less flat than some areas of Alberta. As it stands at the moment, the BC government has a plan to four-lane highway 97 from Fort St. John to the Alberta Border but geographically speaking, there is no reason why they should not be twinning (as proof, the Alberta government is twinning highway 43 from Beaverlodge to the BC border in the coming future). My area in particular, I believe, should be twinned because of the very high percentage of tractor trailers we have on the road due to the oil & gas industry. While I agree that four-laning is safer than undivided two lane highways, twinned highways have a number of advantages. When driving at night oncoming traffic is not as directly in front of you which helps to prevent being blinded by others’ headlights. Additionally, if road conditions and poor driving skills cause someone to swerve, they go off the road which is unfortunate, but at least they are out of the flow of traffic. On the other hand, if there is a concrete median (in the case of four-laned highway) they become boxed in and other vehicles can hit the from behind. If there is no concrete median on a four-laned highway, head-on collisions can still occur. Furthermore, when a highway is twinned, people can still drive relatively unaffected by construction as crews build the twin highway alongside the original. However, when a highway is four-laned traffic must be held up at every painstaking kilometer causing drivers to get frustrated and be more aggressive on the raods. Let’s not forget that speed limits on twinned highways are at 110 km/h vs 100 km/h on four-laned highways. No other jurisdiction in North America that I am aware of four-lanes highways, they all are in the practice of twinning and there are good reasons for this. It’s, frankly, going to be embarassing when my Albertan friends come to visit me and are greeted by the joining of the divided highway and shortening of the shoulder as they cross the border into BC.

As a side note, I currently am going to the University of Alberta in Edmonton and when I drive back home to BC, I am stunned by the number of overpasses on the highway, in the middle of nowhere. It’s great! I only have to stop at 2 traffic lights between Edmonton and Grande Prairie (both of which are in Whitecourt). That’s 5 hours of not having to stop at red lights! While I know that overpasses at every intersection are not economically feasible, we need to be building more of them, especially in the lower mainland. They help curb traffic jams and driving becomes much more relaxing when you don’t have to stop at a red light every hour on the highway.

One positive about four-laning that I realize is that if the government plans only on upgrading the highway slowly a few kilometers at a a time (as the BC government has frustrating habit of doing), drivers are able to enjoy driving on the new road immediately. However, I do think that despite this, we should still be twinning. I know that the BC government is trying to keep its books balanced, but I am VERY VERY VERY positive that British Columbians are plenty willing to borrow money to build proper twinned highways with WIDE shoulders, overpasses , and get it all done in a timely manner! The benefits will last GENERATIONS. BC has some of the toughest laws on texting and driving, drinking and driving, and one of the most restrictive graduated licensing programs in the country. If the government and Ministry of Transportation are really serious about keeping people safe on the roads, these laws and the GLP are lip service as far as I’m concerned, writing new laws can only do so much so we must make significant investment in the safety of our citizens through signficant improvements in our transportation infrastructure. As a final thought please consider this: once all of our major highways are four-laned, it’s very unlikely that we will ever go back to go back and twin them properly. For generations our highways will be less safe than we could have made them and less safe than the highways in other parts of Canada and the US and more people will be killed on our highways because of it. It is very important that we do this right the first time.

• tranbceditor on January 31, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Hello and thank you for connecting with us here and sharing your concerns and comments.

Although driving on a twinned highway is an ideal situation, we have numerous factors to consider including, but not limited to: cost, property impacts, environment, archaeology, agricultural land, wildlife. A twinned highway has a significantly larger footprint and therefore many more impacts. With respect to safety, we typically build a 2.6m median that separates the lane directions and most four lane sections of highway have a minimum 2.0m wide paved shoulder plus a 0.5m gravel shoulder. A lot of our design criteria are determined by traffic volumes.
      We currently have two major 4-laning (twinning) projects underway in BC. The Caribou Connector (Cache Creek to Prince George), and (Cache Creek to the Rockies (Alberta Border) – (The Kicking Horse Project)). Additional projects are always in the construction and planning stage by the regions where they exist and will involve adding additional passing lanes throughout the province such as Highway 3 near Princeton, BC, and new interchanges such as at McKenzie, and work on the Malahat.

New passing areas throughout the province are always being considered, and additional work in the Fraser Valley in terms of adding lanes, and the George Massey Bridge replacement carry on. Sicamous area is also adding lanes as is Salmon Arm.

We hope that this helps answer some of your concerns. If you have any other questions, let us know.

2. Glenn on December 1, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Hi, I’ve spent the summer driving north to south, east to west in BC, and I must say, I didn’t realize how far behind the times we are until I drove outside of the province. It seems we have no long term planning. I mean, we have the population projects to plan on building proper freeways between all major cities in the future, not this corner-cutting 4-laning business. Putting the lanes together with a concrete median is dangerous, which is why I-90 through Washington State has recently been upgraded through the Cascades to separate the lanes with an earthen median. The concrete barriers block incoming light from hitting your side of the road while blinding you at face level.

Please, please, please, pretty please, think about building proper freeways. Kamloops to Jasper, Kamloops to Prince George (both 97 and 16), Kamloops to Field, Osoyoos to Kamloops, Prince George to Fort St. John, Prince George to Terrace, and Victoria to Campbell River. 110km/h limits like Coq. No traffic lights on major highways! There are over 60 lights between here in Vernon and Osoyoos, and that’s one of the busiest highways in the province. It is hurting business and makes it hard to remain competitive. I waste hundreds of extra GHG emissions every year being stuck at red lights. I would willingly pay more taxes to make it happen before the next century!

Thank you.

• tranbceditor on December 1, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your comment! We have sent it forward directly to our Traffic Engineering branch for review.

3. stacey on October 28, 2016 at 10:05 am

There is newly paved road just past Duncan, BC going south to Victoria and you cannot see the paint whatsoever at night. It is unbelievably frustrating as when going over the Malahat the difference between having reflective line paint (and reflectors) to not being able to see which lane you are in is night and day difference (pun intended!). If you add a foggy morning, it’s “near misses” every single day. I drive it, and I see cars immediately swerve back into their lane, or swerve to stay off the shoulder when they realize where they are. My Dad drives a logging truck and he dreads having to pass through this brand new section of highway because there is zero visibility with respect to the lane markings and both and cars often cross over not being able to see – especially with rain and fog. It’s unbelievable that you would not use reflective paint and reflectors for this highway.

• tranbceditor on October 28, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Hi Stacey,

Thanks for connecting with us here and sharing your concern. Just to be clear when we share your complaint forward for review, is this BC Highway 1 (Trans-Canada) south of Duncan you are referring to?

4. Helen on September 20, 2016 at 6:45 am

Hello,
    I just got back from Alberta (Edmonton) which I had visited for the very first time and the thing that blew me away was their road system. WOW! It felt like I must be in the US what with the great volume moving system they have, and despite their winters, highway seemed in great shape.
    Visited my daughter in Victoria when I got back and got stuck in the apparently now to be expected “Colwood crawl”on the way out. There was no accident and this was purely a result of three lines of traffic being merged into one to get on the Malahat…. and not even during rush hour. I couldn’t help but think this would never happen one province over.

• tranbceditor on September 21, 2016 at 9:28 am

Hi Helen,

Thanks for connecting with us here and sharing your feedback. The things that make British Columbia such an beautiful province (mountains, rivers, valleys, green forests etc.) are the often the same things that make highway travel here a bit more challenging than in places that are relatively flat (like Edmonton). Geographic barriers, like the Malahat, can limit the ability to have multiple lanes of free flowing traffic. Add in some unpredictable mountain weather and things can slow down considerably. We continue to improve BC highways wherever we can and the Malahat is no exception. We have recently improved a significant stretch of this road and are working on improving it further right now. Here’s more info: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016TRAN0044-000357 Hope that this helps!

5. Elsa on September 18, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Hi I am so sorry I missed the deadline of the survey but hope you will take this into consideration!
    My husband and I moved ourselves from South Delta to Clearwater, 500 km during January to July 2016
    with our cube van, it was a lot of trips I will tell you! Since then we have travelled to Kamloops for
    shopping and airport as well as down to the coast to visit our kids! We are talking 20 return trips!

I am with Ken that 4 laning from Kamloops to Alberta would be wonderful, but why Highway 5
    Yellowed highway has not been repaved before the winter from Barrier to Clearwater is beyond me!
    We had to wait thru the Not Necessary repaving from Kamloops to Sun Peaks exit and was expecting the
    road work to start on the road between Barrier and Clearwater, we waited and were betting which month
    it would start and here we are in the middle of September and the only roadwork was done just before
    Clearwater and it was so poorly done, we have never seen such a poor job. That company is now doing
    the few feet of extra lanes before McLure so wish us luck on that job!
    With that amount of traffic between commercial trucks, RV’s and local residents it is despicable to
    not redo the surface and leave it in such poor quality!
    We are going into winter and the surface will hold water which will turn into ice and will be deadly!

Sincerely,
    Elsa

• tranbceditor on September 19, 2016 at 9:40 am

Hi Elsa,

Thanks for connecting with us here and sharing your comments. We have shared them forward with the local area manager for review. The Trans-Canada 4 laning program is underway and you can learn more about it here: http://engage.gov.bc.ca/bchwy1/projects/ Hope this helps!

6. Brian Theobald on September 14, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Hello,

I have a suggestion for merge lanes. I live in Victoria and on any given long weekend, the traffic on Hwy 1 going north towards the Malahat is constantly backed up for a good 5 kms to the Colwood exit. Having sat in this several times, expecting an accident or something up ahead, I find that it’s just bottle-necked at the merge lane just before the Leigh Rd overpass. Once you’ve merged and your heading through Goldstream, traffic picks up. The same problem happens during rush hour traffic on Craigflower Rd heading west just past the Admirals Rd intersection. My co-workers and I have had a couple debates during lunch hour about how to properly merge to prevent this bottle-necking.

The problem is, there’s no consistency on where people merge. You get some people merging early as soon as the merge sign appears and they usually zipper in nicely. But then you get some people who see lots of right hand lane ahead still so they drive way up to the very end, but then people see them as “cutting the line” so they are hesitant to let them in so the merging drivers end up either slowing right down until someone lets them in or dangerously cutting people off so they can get a spot. This causes everyone to slow down, reducing speeds from 80 down to 50 or less.

A simple fix would be to paint a colored “merge zone” into these merge lanes. Make it about 100 meters long (approx 5 seconds to merge driving at 80 km/h) with a sign indicating you can only merge while in the “zone”. You can’t start merging before the zone and you must be merged by the time the zone ends. Also include a sign just before saying “Remember to zipper” or something with a diagram of cars zippering. This way everyone is on the same page and knows what to expect from the merging traffic. People can maintain their speed while safely letting other cars in with no disgruntlement towards others budging in line.

• tranbceditor on September 15, 2016 at 10:00 am

Hi Brian,

That is a great idea and we have shared it forward with our traffic engineers for review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with us – let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Safe travels!

• Brian Theobald on October 4, 2016 at 11:29 pm

I must apologize. I noticed about two days after posting my comment about merging that there is now a sign on Hwy 1 where it merges at Leigh Rd telling people to merge at the end of the lane and to alternate traffic. I’m sure this will help considerably but I noticed that some people still want to merge early in the lane. I think it would still be beneficial to have a section of the road painted to indicate where to start merging to that it’s blatantly obvious and leaves no room for interpretation. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the completion of the McKenzie Interchange finally!

• tranbceditor on October 6, 2016 at 9:44 am

Thanks for following up with us Brian, much appreciated!

7. Jock Halley on August 7, 2016 at 8:32 pm

My pet peeve on BC Highways is logging trucks and trailers without fenders. This is antiquated and downright dangerous, I see fuel trucks and trailers,gravel trucks and trailers, highway trucks and reefers all with fenders.when is this outdated practise going to cease and all highway rigs have fenders? Follow alogging truck and trailer loaded or empty especially in winter and you are completely blinded when they hit a patch of water or slush. Iam an emigrant from the UK who worked in the transport truck industry as a Mechanic, coming to Canada I was astounded and still am at how far we are behind Europe in truck safety and trailer safety!

• tranbceditor on August 12, 2016 at 10:36 am

Thanks for your comments Jock, about logging trucks/trailers, which are not manufactured with fenders and only require mud flaps on the rear of the tires. I have forwarded them to our Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement branch.

• Ken on September 14, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Sure the truck or trailer may have been manufactured without fenders however they can be mandated on anything and any competent shop can set something up to follow the law. Even make it retroactive for older vehicles if they want to be run on our roads.

Now there’s quite a lot in other areas that can improve transportation, first is to have police enforcing road laws, all too often they are looking for the occasional speeder or someone turning where they shouldn’t however as someone who has lived in 3 Provinces and spent a lot of time in Ontario, I can say this is the worst for driver ability I’ve seen. Why does the ministry and conversely ICBC have to provide a translator when drivers licenses are being provided? If a translator is required for someone to acquire a license in this Province what are the chances they understand road signs? That’s food for thought.

Another quibble, heavy trucks in the left lane…really? That should be a no brainer no go right there.

Inadequate merge lanes, prime example is the cluster of fun in the lower mainland coming off 264 Street (Highway 13) to highway 1 Eastbound, whoever designed that travesty should be found and forced to redo it. That’s one ultra short merge lane right after some traffic has to do a yield, there isn’t even a remote chance someone can hit highway speed on that one and probably several others around the Province. Oh and the fact the highway is 3 lanes eastbound to this point doesn’t help matters in the congestion area either. Also highway 99 southbound to the 152/32 exit needs to be lengthened badly as there are backups there that do stretch onto the highway lanes, that is definitely not a safe thing.

The B.C. Government and Federal Governments desperately need to fast track the Trans Canada 4 laning from Kamloops to Alberta, this should be a high priority project that should be sped up. Why? This is a highway that is part of the National Highway System as are highways like 16 up north, the Coquihalla and the Crowsnest. The Coq is fine however there has to be improvements on the Crowsnest. Yes I do know there’s straightening projects going on with that highway but like the Trans Canada, this highway needs attention as well as I can see both 1 and 3 being even more important links to the rest of the country and as such they need to be opened up, even if it means a bypass somehow someway around that nasty bit east of Osoyoos, that’s just nuts for commercial traffic and no, I’m not a commercial driver and only have held a class 5 license all my life.

And my final piece and I’ll get off my soapbox.

Signage in B.C. simply stinks. I’ve seen better highway signage in Manitoba, here your lucky to see a curve ahead alert aside from the odd hairpin. No Passing zones should also be signed in addition to the road markings, speaking of road markings, they need to be upgraded with more reflective properties, badly. Signage is important for not only safe driving, but driver alerts to what the road ahead is like. I’ve seen too many flatlanders think they go like gangbusters on the Duffey Lake Road and get stung by an unexpected tight curve ahead. It isn’t flat or straight here and I leanred that quick coming from the flatlands but tourists…they need a bit more help!

Ok I’m done.

• tranbceditor on September 15, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your feedback – we really appreciate it. We have sent it forward for review as part of our Customer Satisfaction Survey. Take care.

8. Todd Farion on December 7, 2014 at 1:30 am

I drive to Surrey from Mission everyday on HWY #1. Everyday I notice that the flow of traffic is interrupted and radically slowed by big rigs entering the fast lane. Big Rigs do not belong in the fast lane as they have no ability to clear the lane in a timely manner, they are quite literally in my opinion causing one of the greatest degrees of hwy congestion. We would save millions in HWY infrastructure upgrades if we kept big rigs out of the fast lane.

• tranbceditor on December 8, 2014 at 10:57 am

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion Todd. In the recent Rural Speed and Safety Review consultation, slow-moving vehicles were looked at. The subsequent actions will take place from the Slow-Moving Vehicle portion of the safety review:

– Bring forward changes to the Motor Vehicle Act to give police better tools, through clearer language, to enforce the requirement for slower vehicles to keep right.
      – Adopt new signage and pavement markings to increase voluntary compliance of ‘keep right’ requirements.
      – Pilot signage on Highway 4 advising motorists with more than five vehicles following to pull over.

9. Evelyn on July 28, 2014 at 12:23 pm

I agree with the statements made by Chris above especially regarding commercial heavy truck traffic.

The engine brake signage is out of date and needs replacing on many roads in B.C.

The signs should be placed further from community boundaries and lower speed limits imposed. Some small communities are inundated with engine brake noise as trucks travel at high speed through the community using their engine brakes to slow down at the last minute. This is true especially at night.

Regulations to reduce noise pollution from vehicles augmenting their muffler systems.

A program for the installation of sound barriers for people/communities close to highways.

• tranbceditor on July 29, 2014 at 9:32 am

Thanks for your comments, Evelyn.
      I’ve passed them on to our engineering department.

10. tranbceditor on June 30, 2014 at 11:17 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. We’ll pass them on to those conducting the Customer Satisfaction Survey. As well, please make sure you take the survey too.

11. Daniel on June 30, 2014 at 8:47 am

1) Promote the deregulation of taxis so as to reduce traffic congestion by increasing the number of taxis.

2) Build carpool-stops and promote drivers to pick up carpoolers so as to reduce traffic congestion and wasted fuel.

3) Replace stop signs with yield signs so as to reduce traffic congestion and wasted fuel as studies have confirmed that stop signs do not offer measurable safety benefits over the yield approach.

3) Reduce the number of traffic lights so as to reduce traffic congestion and wasted fuel as studies have confirmed that there are viable alternatives to traffic lights.

12. chris on June 27, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Road Improvements
    Install pullouts on rural highways with a single lane.
    Education of maximum 5 vehicles held up before lead vehicle required to pull over when safe and allow pass. (This is common in WA and when followed is very affective and does not require massive upgrades to twin road ways)

Commercial Vehicles
    Differential speed limits for heavy trucks. Limit heavy trucks to a maximum 80km/hr except for a few highways.
    Ban heavy trucks from the left lane with an exception for left turns. This should apply to all multi-lane roadways, not just highways.
    Focus on commercial vehicle driving infractions: speeding, late lights, vehicle safety.

Road Courtesy and Safety
    Better signage regarding right lane for traveling, left for passing.
    Enforcement of drivers that cross solid lines while cornering.
    Enforcement of drivers that cannot maintain their vehicle within lane markings.
    Dedicated HOV lanes use dashed white lines to separate non-HOV lanes in the same direction.
    Street parking on major urban roadways begins at 7pm instead of current 6pm.

13. Dennis Kim on June 27, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I take issue with slower vehicles impeding the fast lane on highways. This applies to those still exceeding the speed limit but travelling slower than the natural flow of the lanes to the right of it. This particularly applies to the HOV lane. It should always be the fastest moving lane on the highway yet vehicles in this lane are often travelling slower than the lane to the immediate right. I feel this is a dangerous situation when the lane to the right of the HOV lane is a fast lane flanked by slower moving traffic on either side of it.

14. Vancouverite on June 27, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi,

Here are the things to consider:

– REFLECTIVE MARKERS ON ALL MAJOR STREETS
    E.g. boundary road at night + rain = a strip of black with no lane references. Another example: downtown New West…it’s like driving into a huge dark pool when it’s raining at night.

– STOP ALL CAR TRAFFIC FOR PEDESTRIANS/BIKES TO CROSS

Especially true at major intersections where foot traffic is expected (e.g. near skytrain stations and downtown Vancouver)
    Vancouver is no longer a one-horse town. Get with the times!

– Goes with the 2nd point: STOP FOOT TRAFFIC WHEN IT’S GREEN FOR VEHICLES

This is especially problematic when people are making turns (esp. left turns). Drivers have to look for both oncoming traffic AND pedestrians standing at street corners who sometimes can’t seem to make up their minds on when/where to cross. Look at most European countries (e.g. UK) and you will never have this madness. When it’s a green light, it means GO, not look out for this, watch out for that, and then maybe you can go. This goes both ways for drivers and pedestrians alike. As a pedestrian, I don’t want to have to watch out for stupid drivers pushing their way through making their turns a foot behind or in front of me when I am crossing the road. As a driver, I have to continuously make shoulder checks to ensure people are not going to start their sprint to cross the road on a flashing “don’t walk” sign. Again, it’s safe for both parties.

– MOVE THE BIKE LANES TO THE INSIDE OF THE SIDEWALK
    Seriously, what is wrong with the designer who thinks it’s safe/wise to put the bike lane between the sidewalk and the roadways? Moving the bike lanes to the inside ensures safety of the bikers and again, one less thing to watch out for as a driver when driving, parking, making a turn (assuming the point about stopping traffic for pedestrian to cross is implemented)

– MORE ROUNDABOUTS, LESS STOP SIGNS
    Countless research proves roundabouts are more efficient. Europe has been using them forever, the US is beginning to use them more often, why not Canada?

– PEDESTRIAN ACTIVATED FLASHING LIGHTS at ALL CROSSWALKS
    This should be self-explanatory benefit-wise and their activation must be made mandatory before crossing. Other improvements to consider including clearing all the trees near crosswalks so that pedestrians are not made harder to see by the shades.

– REMOVE ALL CROSSWALKS FROM BRIDGE ON/OFF RAMPS
    Another Vancouver specialty. They are unexpected, they are often poorly marked, and therefore they are dangerous.

– BUMP THE SPEED LIMIT TO 85TH PERCENTILE / SPEED TICKETS TO IMPROVE SAFETY, NOT TO MAKE $
    50km/h in the city: makes sense.
    30km/h for school zones and hospital area: makes sense
    80km/h for highways: stupid
    50km/h for 3-lane roads (SE Marine Dr) with little to no foot traffic?: STUPID

– ENFORCE RIGHT LANE EXCEPT TO PASS LAWS

– INSTALL “BLINDS” on highway dividers to diffuse oncoming traffics’ headlights
    Other than Mountain Hwy in North Van, I’ve not seen it installed anywhere else. They are useful and much needed to reduce eye strain and improve safety

• tranbceditor on June 27, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for your suggestions “Vancouverite”.
      Safety is our first priority over anything else, and influences our decisions on mobility. In regards to Vancouver, New West, and other communities, some roadways fall under our jurisdiction while others do not (falling to the municipality). We do hope you’ve taken the Customer Satisfaction Survey. Having said that, we’ll soon be releasing the results of the Safety and Speed Review which should be informative and address some of the topics you’ve highlighted. We’ll share on this blog as soon as it is made available.

• SRW on July 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I’ll agree with you on all points except the bike lane one. Bikes should not be kept visually segregated from the road. A bike is a vehicle and can often go as fast as traffic. What about when there are parked cars, and you need to make a right turn? You can’t see a bike traveling 40 km/h until it’s too late. Union Street and Richards Street in Vancouver are good examples of this.

15. A Very Concerned Citizen on June 27, 2014 at 11:55 am

Do not focus on where we are, but rather, where we are going.

The dawn of the autonomous vehicle revolution is almost upon us.

Is Vancouver/BC ready for it?
    Is BC Transit ready?
    More to the point; Are YOU, the average citizen, ready for it?

This should be the absolute primary consideration going forward in any “10+ year plan”: not IF, but WHEN the automakers bring a safe, reliable, self-driving car to market, what will need to change on our roads?

What special concessions and considerations could, or should be made?

How does this affect public transit in BC? (a fleet of smart-app summonable, smart, self-driving vehicles may quickly make obsolete any conceptions you have of today’s public mass transit.)

What are the social, economic, and legal implications of roadways full of self-driving cars?

Insurance corporations (ICBC) entire model may need to be adapted. In theory, once established and proven, this technology could liberate drivers from numerous restrictions; with wide adoption, accident and injury statistics will be vastly reduced. Insurance on a self-driving vehicles could (should) be greatly reduced.

How many lives can be saved and improved? The statistics are already demonstrate the fallibility of human drivers.

How will this affect transit policing? Fewer errors = fewer infractions = fewer fines = fewer wasted police resources.

Artificially reduced speed limits could be increased when the vehicle is computer controlled. Commuting times would no longer be subject reduced reaction times, and the ‘brake wave’ which creates traffic congestion. The traffic could simply flow smoothly.

In a self-driving vehicle, the passengers attention could safely be directed towards our natural propensity for distractions; talking or texting, watching movies or reading a book; getting some work in during commutes, or even the social enjoyment of a few glasses of wine with dinner, or a night out at the bar. Think of the lives that will be saved, and the social revolution that this may entail.

So – is BC transit ready for it? Surely you want to be hailed as ‘forward thinking’, progressive entity. Are you ready and willing to adapt with the pace of change?

It is absolute folly to neglect to acknowledge the inevitable arrival and proliferation of this technology.

16. Van Petheriotis on June 27, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hello,

I’m sure this has been mentioned before but I’d also like to mention it. I’ve noticed over the last number of years that line painting has gotten worse and (as in the picture on this very website) there are no or faded line markings all over the Province on highways and even in cities! I’ve noticed that the lines are smaller and narrower and poor quality paint is used as the lines don’t last long after painting. Also, reflective paint should be used as I consistently see people cross lanes at night and especially in the rain where the lines on the road are completely invisible. I’ve seen people driving in the middle of two lanes because they can’t see the lines in the rain, I don’t blame people as I have had to do this in the rain at times because the lines are impossible to see, this is extremely dangerous and puts lives at risk.

• tranbceditor on June 27, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Hi Van,
      Thanks for your comments.
      The ministry takes its commitment to provide a safe, efficient transportation network very seriously, and we recognize the importance of providing clear road markings for drivers throughout the year. We spend around $11 million annually on pavement markings across the province, and our line painting contractors repaint over 25,000 kilometres of centre and lane lines every year, starting as soon as drier weather permits.

As maintenance activities, such as snow plowing and winter abrasive applications, cause significant seasonal wear and tear, the work begins in the spring once the roads have been swept and continues through much of the summer. As far back as a month ago our contractors began laying fresh paint in priority areas of the province where we are sure winter maintenance activities are finished for the year, such as in the lower valley areas and along the coast. Through new contracts awarded earlier this year, our Ministry staff will have the ability to direct our pavement marking contractors to apply thicker paint in areas that see greater wear, such as on the inside corners of high-use routes, as an additional way to improve durability.

Although federal environmental regulations have required us to move away from the resilient acrylic paints we’ve used in the past, our staff and our contractors are currently testing new types of paint and pavement marking technologies to identify options that are both long lasting and environmentally safe. In addition, we are testing products known as inlaid durables, which are designed to withstand wear and remain visible throughout the year. Shoulder and centre-line rumble strips have also been installed on many major routes as an alternative providing additional visual delineation, as well as audible and tactile warnings when motorists begin to cross road lines.

Again, thanks for sharing your concerns. I hope this addressed your comment.

• SRW on July 14, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Unacceptable. There are roads that do not get any plowing and are still lacking in proper line marking. These new paints are not acceptable. What is the point of using low VOC paints when they need to be re-painted every year?

How many people will die before the Ministry installs countersunk reflectors on roads that are plower in the winter? What about the roads that are rarely plowed such as those in the Lower Mainland and even most of the Sea to Sky?