Career Opportunity: Now’s Your Chance to Join CVSE

CVSE Inspection

*COMPETITION IS CLOSED*

There are many ways to describe what it’s like to work for the ministry’s Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) branch.

Experienced and aspiring vehicle safety officers and inspectors now have the chance to add their skills to CVSE’s province-wide effort to make British Columbia’s highways safer.

We’re looking to fill positions in three job types:

Area Vehicle Inspector
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
Carrier Safety Inspector

Area Vehicle Inspector

On the job: An Area Vehicle inspector works on the go, independently monitoring and inspecting vehicles, loads, licences, insurance, drivers and carriers to protect highway infrastructure, and the people who use it, through enforcement and education. This position also focuses on inspecting and certifying school buses for safety, and auditing inspection facilities.

What our team has to say…

“It’s about belonging to a great team! It’s also about working for a great organization, being able to learn and work together, and helping one another when one of our members needs guidance. Most of all, it’s about having fun doing our job.”

Jose Cordeiro, Area Vehicle Inspector, Prince George

“I think the thing that I enjoy the most is the sense of belonging to a team of dedicated men and women that are passionate about making a difference and keeping highways safer.”

Terry Deacon, Senior Supervising Area Vehicle Inspector, Prince George

Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
On the job: A Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer enforces compliance with the acts, regulations and standards that govern the road transportation industry, protecting travellers and infrastructure. Within the assigned area (there are openings from Vancouver Island to Northern BC) the position monitors roadways, operates inspection stations (stationary, portable and mobile) and conducts mechanical and safety checks on commercial vehicles. The officer also issues warnings and prosecution notices, and may delay or detain vehicles and/or drivers.

What our team has to say…

“I enjoy being part of the CVSE team because it is an exciting and diverse career with an outstanding work/life balance. I face new challenges every day, and feel proud of the fact that my job helps to keep the highways safer.”

Jesse Giesbrecht, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Vernon

“I like the opportunities it offers, working with different people, working in different geographical locations, and the flexibility that comes with it.”

Duane Gill, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Prince George

“I enjoy the comradery within the CVSE team and the challenge of working with industry to ensure compliance and safety on the highways.”

Betty-Ann Penner, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Prince George

“What do I love best about working for CVSE? That’s easy… I have the opportunity to positively affect public road safety by removing unsafe vehicles from the highway and by changing driver behaviours. This makes it safer for everybody using our highways.”

Bernie Bolton, Commercial Transport Inspector, Kamloops

“I really enjoy making a tangible contribution to road safety, be it inspecting a truck and proactively finding a problem before it becomes an incident, or stopping aggressive drivers. We are a close knit group, and I have met some of the nicest and most dedicated professionals in my service with CVSE. Our client base also makes for an interesting and often pleasant work experience as the majority of drivers are hard-working people who, for the most part, are appreciative of our contributions in making their workplace safer and keeping an even playing field for their industry.”

Toni Kristinsson, Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer, Tete Jaune Cache Inspection Station

Carrier Safety Inspector
On the job: A Carrier Safety Inspector independently resolves complex problems and applies decisions that significantly impact peoples’ lives and businesses by monitoring carriers and drivers to ensure compliance with the National Safety Code Program. As part of the monitoring process, CSI’s conduct investigations, interviews, inspections and quantifiable audits in accordance with national standards, and also provide training and seminars to industry and partner agencies.

We need skilled people to join our CVSE ranks across BC, including the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island, Southern Interior, and the north. Do you think you have the abilities and drive to help keep our roads safer?

Please apply online by November 26, 2014. If you have any questions, please feel free to use the comments section below.

106 comments on “Career Opportunity: Now’s Your Chance to Join CVSE”

1. Good afternoon,

Just curious as to know when there’ll be a competition opening for a CVSE Enforcement Officer.

Thank you!

2. hi there I’m currently looking to see if CVSE is hiring for the coming year in the lower mainland by any chance I’m currently looking for a career change if there is an opportunity available.

• Hello there,

There are currently no postings in place for the CVSE.
      Read this page to get more information about the skills you will need to apply for a variety of CVSE positions and visit the BC Government Employment Opportunities website regularly to search for postings. You can ask for notifications from this page for any CVSE posting when it goes live. Hope that this helps! Thanks for considering working with us.

3. You should tell that officer at 100 Mile House to stop wearing baton and handcuffs (has a pepper spray pouch, but not sure if there is spray in it).

Also, I see him stopping cars for speeding. I am familiar with the CVSA OOS criteria which I am pretty sure does not apply to vehicles licensed less than 5,000 Kg.

• Hi Isack,

Thanks for your comments and concerns about CVSE officers.

CVSE officers do not carry or use items such as batons, pepper spray or handcuffs. An officer may choose to wear a duty belt equipped with pouches of various sizes and shapes to safely store the many tools which are required to do their job effectively and can resemble the carrying cases of the items which you mentioned. These pouches contain tools such as flashlights, seat belt cutters, first aid supplies, multi-tools and gloves.

As Peace Officers in British Columbia, CVSE officers have the authority to enforce the Motor Vehicle Act which applies to all vehicles on our public roads. CVSE’s primary focus is to ensure the safe operation of commercial vehicles, however occasionally it is necessary to interact with a smaller vehicle to ensure public safety for all road users.

• Actually, I’m an experienced law enforcement officer. I am familiar with batons, handcuffs and pepper spray. I know what it looks like, I am not stupid. I have also carried that equipment myself.

Considering I have seen his duty belt up close, I can say with confidence it’s baton, OC, and handcuffs. Doesn’t help that he probably got his belt from an ex-mountie.

• Hi John,

Generally, we’re looking for people who hold a regular Class 5 drivers licence, have graduated from high school and have some road transportation and/or enforcement learning/experience. Completion of the Justice Institute of B.C. Investigative and Enforcement Skills Certificate Program core course is listed as one example of learning that would helpful for the position. Skills include reading comprehension, decision making, written and verbal communication, conflict resolution and self-control, problem solving, being able to work in a team environment and the demonstrated ability to read and apply legislative or compliance related material.

Check out CVSE careers here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse

4. Can I still join the cvse even if I don’t have any experience at all Or do I need to get some for them to even considering hiring me or can they trained me when I get hired ?

• Hi Stephen,

5. Hi there I am very new to this I’m only 22 and I wanna become Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer but don’t know what step to take or the requirements what do I need to become one so can u help me with the progress And what Will it take n and where to go or if I need go to School anything will help to point me in the right direction Can I go in person talk to someone ? I’m from Vancouver BC

• Hi Josh,

Thanks for your interest in a career with CVSE. You will find some information here, about the knowledge and abilities you need: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/52007 NOTE: this information will be removed July 17 when the job posting closes, so you might want to copy it before then.

In the upper right corner of that page is further information on:
      • Employee Benefits
      • How to Apply
      • Current Job Postings (To search, enter “Commercial Vehicle” into the keyword section; and select “Min of Trans & Infrastructure” for Ministry/Organization).

If you have more specific questions after reviewing this material, let us know.

6. Hi there I was wondering how to get in Commercial Transport Officers what’s the progress ? And the requirements and what I need to do I am new to this What are the steps to take

• Hi Shaw,

Thanks for your interest in working as a Commercial Transport Officer.

I am seeking some information about Area Vehicle Inspectors/Commercial Transport Inspectors, which I believe are entry-level positions

In the meantime, you will find some information here, about the experience, knowledge and abilities required for a Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer: https://bcpublicservice.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/52007 PLEASE NOTE: this information will no longer be available after July 17 when the job posting closes, so you might want to copy and save it for future reference.

For this position, we’re looking for people who hold a regular Class 5 drivers licence, have graduated from high school and have some road transportation and/or enforcement learning/experience. Completion of the Justice Institute of B.C. Investigative and Enforcement Skills Certificate Program core course is listed as one example of learning that would be helpful for the position. The work requires reading comprehension, decision making, written and verbal communication, conflict resolution and self-control, problem solving, being able to work in a team environment and the demonstrated ability to read and apply legislative or compliance related material.

More about CVSE careers here: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/careers-myhr/job-seekers/featured-careers/cvse

In the upper right corner of that page is further information on:
      • Employee Benefits
      • How to Apply

• Hi Shaw,

I checked with one of our CVSE people about the requirements for Area Vehicle Inspectors/Commercial Transport Inspectors, which I believe are entry-level positions.

I was told they are included in the answer I provided to you earlier today, with the exception of the paragraph and job description that focused on the work of a Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer.

Best wishes on your career quest!

7. Hello,

Ive applied for the last Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer position, and I was just wondering on average how long it takes for candidates to be notified if they have our have not been selected to continue and how long it takes on average for the successful candidate to receive an offer.

Thank you very much!

• Hi Clayton,

The time it takes really depends, depending on the number of applicants, the workload of the hiring panel, etc. Do you have the name of the hiring manager? You could try to connect with them and see where they are at in their process?

8. Hello
    What is the hiring outlook for CVSE in 2018. Will there be any mass hiring? It seems like the majority of the 2017 postings all went to internal applicants.

• Hello Clint,

At this time there are no plans for a bulk hire in 2018. We encourage you to continue to check with the Employment Opportunities page for external positions as they come available. Good luck!

9. I was told job shadowing was out of the question due to privacy concerns at my local CVSE station? Is this different region to region? Because I would really love a chance to shadowy an officer and see what is really involved day to day.

10. Hi;
    I have been applying for positions with CVSE for a couple of months now ( including writing the online exam for one position – unsuccessful ) . I also have been doing a few days of job shadowing and am currently in touch with the new supervisor in my local area to further my knowledge and do further shadowing and ride along . I have also ordered a hard copy of the Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards Legislation Manuel to study at home . I meet the qualifications for a position and have 30 years experience as a log truck driver . My question is : does CVSE prefer to hire younger applicants over someone my age ( 54 ) ? I have been interested in joining CVSE for several years but just recently ( January 2017 ) got serious about applying . Also , do you have any advise as to any further training I could do on my own to better my chances of gaining employment with CVSE .Thank you for any information or help you can supply .

• Hi Mike,

We spoke with the CVSE who told us that general learning/experience that leads to success are skills involving reading comprehension, decision making, written and verbal communication, conflict resolution and self-control, problem solving, being able to work in a team environment and the demonstrated ability to read and apply legislative or compliance related material.

This is beyond the standard experience in road transportation and/or enforcement that may initially get a person in the door for testing, but our hiring processes are highly competitive and the above noted competencies are of significant importance.

Age is not a considering factor, other than being of minimum age to work in the public service. We’ve hired officers from early 20’s to late 50’s.

For contact, you are best to continue with local contact with the district or region you already have initiated.

Hope that this helps!

• Hi Roy,

That date will vary depending on the school you are looking at. We recommend connecting directly with them. Thanks for connecting with us here!

11. wondering if there are any positions available for carrier auditors, I have heard that the audits are very far behind. Do you contract out audits at all?

12. Hello there,
    I see that CVSE recruiters will be attending the open house that the JIBC is hosting tomorrow. I would love to attend an event like this but due to my location in Golden it is not possible, are there other ways to connect with a recruiter outside of these types of events?

13. Hello
    What does the hiring outlook for Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers look like for 2016? Are there going to be many postings? I’ve heard there will only be job cuts and will only be hiring to replace if quitting/retirement happens. Thanks

14. I would like to inquire about the cvse opening in Quesnel BC. I am currently a class 1 driver and would like some information about changing careers?

15. Looking for information for New Brunswick area regarding if there are courses for the CVSE program
    if you could give me a contact number

16. Hello

Just wondering when CVSE might be hiring CTEO’s again? Will there be any postings in 2015. I had applied for a couple positions, but the postings were cancelled. Any knowledge of postings? Thanks

17. Hello there.

I have had a pleasure of working roadside with CVSE members at few occasions. I am an RCMP Auxiliary Constable in LMD and I have developed strong interest in traffic services.
    – Any ideas of when new postings might open again?
    – I am guessing, applications aren’t acceptet until postings open?

Thanks.

• Hi Bob,
      Thanks for your interest in the CVSE. This competition is now closed. The minimum education requirement was high school graduation, not university.

18. Hey there, I am quite interested in becoming a CVSE inspector and was wondering if there is a way to find out if applications are still being accepted? Also wondering if there is a office or branch I can call to “shadow” an inspector to confirm that this is going to be the right career for me? Any help would be great! Thank you.

• Hi Samantha,

Thanks for your interest in the CVSE. High school graduation is a key requirement, along with your valid class 5 (minimum) Drivers’ License in good standing. Other training which is useful but not required (as much of it will be provided to you once hired) are:
      • Provincial Peace Officer Status
      • Dangerous Goods certification
      • Air Brake training
      • Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) certification
      • Emergency Vehicle Operators Course
      • Total Control Driving Course
      • Commercial Transport Inspector Portable Training Course
      • Justice Institute of B.C. Investigative and Enforcement Skills Certificate Program core courses
      • Radar course
      • Must maintain an active/adequate level of physical fitness.

Hope that this helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

19. Good day!

I’m interested in an immediate or near future “weekend only” position and not sure where to start! Any guidance would be appreciated.

20. Hi TranBC,

Been interested in this for quite awhile and woul definitely like to apply later on down the road opportunity presents itself again. I am sort of quizzicle about something, though. CVSE Officers do a wide range of work and take part in a variety of road safety initiatives. Having said that, I was told by an officer that radar for catching speeders isn’t mandatory training and only certain officers get it. If that is true, why? Does catching drivers unsafe commercial drivers who aggressively speed and endanger other road users not matter to the CVSE?

• Hi Chad,

While many of our officers are trained and certified for speed enforcement, not 100% of all CVSE officers are; This is generally because of the different type of work done by each type of officer. Our investigational and auditing based officers generally do not, nor do inspectors that do not operate our patrol vehicles or work roadside on a regular basis. Speed enforcement, along with enforcement other driver behaviour offences, are mainly focused on the work units that spend the majority of their time out on the highways, conducting roadside enforcement on a regular basis. While there are the odd exceptions, that’s the situation across the province. Similarly, only some of our officers receive specialized auditor training, but only those that conduct compliance audits as part of their daily duties.

Hope that this helps! Thank you for connecting with us here.

21. Hi I am a student and want to start my career as a Transportation Inspector. Is their any way I could get training through TELP Program. Thanks

22. Hi, i was wondering what the structure is for training once hired. Is it mostly in house training or is the majority done face to face at the JI in vancouver?

• Hi again Graham,

The structure for training will be a combination of Justice Institute and on-the-job training provided to each candidate after they start. Thanks!

23. Good day.

I have a question pertaining to a CVSE posting I have applied to a month ago. Is there someone I could contact to follow up on my application status?

D.
    Kamloops BC

24. Hello I have a question regarding the Area Vehicle Inspector position & the salary range posted: $58,332.28 – $66,652.94 annually.

Is there a graduated pay scale for the first 5 years?

I am a currently working as a Fleet Inspector at the R24 level. There was a graduated pay scale for the first 5 years of my employment with the BC Government.

Are these the same terms of employment and if so would I be subjected to this process again?

25. Hi. Same question as Tim and also Id like to know the difference between CTEO position and the Carrier Safety Inspector as I am not sure which one to apply to for entry positions. Also I have specific interest in one particular town in the Southern Interior Region, how many openings are there going to be and where? I would also like to know how to go about on a ride along or job shadowing to get a real feel for the job and make sure its right for me. Thanks

26. Also, if possible, how does one go about requesting a some time job shadowing or riding along to make sure we would want to continue with an application?

27. Hi
    Same question as Tim from November 8th,2014? Also my interest is particularly in one city in the Southern Interior Region. Also can you please explain to me the differences between the carrier safety inspector and commercial transport enforcement officer? Is one an entry level and the other progressive? I’m not really sure which one, or both, I should apply for. Thanks

28. What are the specfic steps of the hiring process?

Application then interview… then?

Also, do you know how many positions are expected to be filled in each area?

Cheers! 🙂

• Hi Tim,
      There’s a few steps in the hiring process and as for the number of positions, that’s being determined through the process. I’ll have someone follow up with you through your email.

• Hi Michael,
          Thanks for your question. In the testing state, one can expect:
          • A written test that will check your knowledge skills and abilities as they relate to this line of work
          • Some behavioral and traditional type questions that will allow you to demonstrate your past work experiences
          • A physical demonstration of your ability to crawl, climb and maneuver your way around large commercial vehicle during a mechanical inspection.

I hope that answers your question.