BC Services Card: Your Care Card and More

If you haven’t heard, the old Care Card and Driver’s Licenses are things of the past. As of February 2013 they joined forces to become the BC Services Card. Why the change? Well, the cards haven’t been significantly updated in about 20 years and, over that time, technology has advanced a little (insert sarcasm).

The new card is designed to make it safer and easier for you to access health services and other programs that require photo ID. It can also be combined with your driver’s licence. The benefits of the change: better security. ICBC and the Information and Privacy Commissioner are on board and for you to be, you just have to enroll. By February 2018, all adult Medical Services Plan (MSP) beneficiaries need to renew their enrolment in MSP and get a BC Services Card. To learn more about all that, go to the website.

new Care Card and BC Driver's License

The new BC Services Card

From a transportation perspective, we thought we’d share some of the myths and facts around the cards with you:

Myth: I will need to pay outstanding traffic violations like speeding or parking tickets when I go to re-enrol in MSP?

Fact: ICBC has its own processes in place for collecting outstanding traffic violations. No one will be denied re-enrolment in MSP or a BC Services Card due to an outstanding traffic violation.

Myth: It is mandatory to combine my driver’s licence and my BC Services Card.

Fact: A combined card is optional and entirely your choice. You may combine your driver’s licence and BC Services Card for convenience or keep them independent.

Myth: If my combined BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card is confiscated at the roadside, I won’t be able to get health care.

Fact: Surrendering your combined BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card does not affect your MSP coverage. If you are enrolled in MSP, you can still receive services by providing your Personal Health Number (PHN) plus other identification. If you’ve surrendered your driver’s licence, go to an ICBC Driver Licensing Office, to obtain a standalone photo BC Services Card. It’s free.

Myth: The chip contains all of my personal information.

Fact: The chip does not store any personal or medical information. In the future, the chip technology will allow you to access a service by tapping your card on a card reader.. Access to your records is protected by a pass code, similar to the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you use with your bank card.

Myth: This card will just cost me more money.

Fact: There is no fee for a BC Services Card. If you are combining it with your driver’s licence, you will pay no more than what you pay today to renew your driver’s licence.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. Looking for more information? The BC Services Card website is your best source of information.

Tags: , , , , ,

183 Responses to BC Services Card: Your Care Card and More

  1. christine westby on July 25, 2019 at 8:52 pm

    I have a bc medical card for both of my children. Their father who lives in BC but in another town, can he order a set of cards for your children for him to keep on file?

  2. Jaimie C on July 16, 2019 at 7:28 pm

    Hello, I’m wondering why my child’s service card does not have her full name? When she was registered we put in two middle names but her card only shows one. Her father also has two middle names but his has both on the card. Why would this happen? And what are the reprocusions of this?

  3. Deanne Zeidler on June 24, 2019 at 10:08 pm

    My 90 year old relative is frantic becuase she believes that if the BC Services card expires, there is no health insurance. This is not the case, correct? Maybe you should be clearer in your communication with the public.

  4. Ying on May 23, 2019 at 10:29 am

    Currently I am having the new card with both driver’s license and care card in one. Can I choose to have the two on separate cards when I renew my driver’s license next time? This will allow me to have one more piece of ID.

    • tranbceditor on May 23, 2019 at 2:40 pm

      Hi Ying,

      Yes, you should be able to do that. Just let the folks behind the desk at the ICBC office know you would like to have two pieces of ID and would like to have a card issued for your license and one for your care card.

  5. Anonymous on April 11, 2019 at 7:08 am

    An adventure company has requested that I provide my personal health number to them. Is that legal?

    • tranbceditor on April 11, 2019 at 9:32 am

      Under the Medicare Protection Act, it is an offence to use another person’s Personal Health Number (PHN) or to knowingly allow your PHN to be used by another person. In order to maintain B.C.’s health care plans for the benefit of all residents, the plans must be protected against inappropriate use by those who are not residents of B.C. and, therefore, are not eligible for coverage.

  6. Manolito Gulla on December 9, 2018 at 5:58 am

    Just got my card. On the back side, I noticed is a little space just above where it says “Personal Health Number”. Are we supposed to affix our signature there?

  7. Frances Daw on December 6, 2018 at 3:07 pm

    How do I get a new card?

  8. VL on August 22, 2018 at 11:12 pm

    When my MSP card expired at the end of February 2018, I had to renew my drivers license. I am one of many that have an “english” name in addition to my chinese name. My citizenship card has my chinese name on the back but on the front (the side with the picture), it includes my “english” name. I didn’t think it would be a hassle so I just shrugged my shoulders and got my new DL without the english name. Since then, it’s been a headache. I’m considering a legal name change but hesitant with the costs involved, both time and money. I’ve read articles here and there (this site, google searches, and bcombudperson site) nothing there are exceptions. This change to exclude my name has essentially created a new identity for me as everything else in my life is under my English name. Is legal name change still my only option, or has ICBC adopted a more reasonable approach to allowing those of us with this problem to have our English names on our DL without having to incur all the headaches of a legal name change and endure the unintended discriminatory nature of this process?

    • tranbceditor on August 23, 2018 at 10:38 am

      Hi there – we’re sorry to hear about your frustrating issue unfortunately, we aren’t the folks who can help clarify it for you. Please call ICBC’s driver licensing department and can look into this specific situation further. They can be reached at 1-250-978-8300 or 1-800-950-1498 and are available Monday – Friday 8:00am – 6:00pm (Pacific Time) and Saturdays 9:00am – 5:00pm (Pacific Time). We hope that this helps your situation. Thanks for connecting with us here.

  9. E. L. on June 6, 2018 at 3:09 am

    My BCID card isn’t expired yet. If I go in to renew it, how long do I have to wait until I get the new card? Is it mailed to me?

  10. J Gravador on May 15, 2018 at 6:52 pm

    PLEASE HELP!! We recently moved here in Surrey, Bc from Winnipeg, Mb. We’ve been in Canada for more than 9 years. We went to ICBC to switch our driver’s licenses and to apply for BC services card but was denied just because our PR card is expired. My wife is 3months pregnant and need to be seen by obgyn but since we have no BC service card yet she can’t. Applyung for PR card and Proof of Permanent Residence will take 6 months and that won’t work for our situation right now. We also need to switch our driver’s licenses within 90days. Please help us if you know anything else we can do. Should we go to Service Canada or CRA to ask help.

    • tranbceditor on May 16, 2018 at 9:26 am

      Hello Jessie,

      Unfortunately we are unable to help but we suggest you try to call ICBC and explain your situation. Here is their contact info: http://www.icbc.com/about-icbc/contact-us/Pages/default.aspx

      You can also contact Health Insurance BC here:

      Toll-free: 1 800 663-7100
      Lower Mainland: 604 683-7151

      Mailing Address:
      Health Insurance BC
      PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Gov
      Victoria, BC V8W 9E3

      Hope that this helps!

    • KA on May 19, 2018 at 3:26 pm

      Your confirmation of permanent residence document along with your foreign passport will qualify you to be able to enrol in MSP. Additionally, until the first day of the 3rd month of residence in BC your health coverage is covered by Health Manitoba. Simply show them your medical plan card from Manitoba till your coverage with BC kicks in.

      You can STILL visit the doctors locally and your services are paid for by Manitoba health till MSP through BC Health kicks in.

      If you moved in May 2018 for example, your MSP in BC will kick in onAug 1, 2018. Until then you can still avail services from doctors locally, your previous Health Plan from Manitoba is required by law to cover it.

      For More info please visit:

      BC info:
      Manitoba info relating to the regulation:

      • tranbceditor on May 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

        Thanks for sharing this information on out of province coverage KA.

  11. Tam on March 30, 2018 at 8:54 am

    Hi there, I’ve recently got my BC Services Card but I’ve been wanting to assume my husband’s last name for a while and just never got around to it (I had no idea there was no need for a legal name change for that). I understand I have to contact MSP and get it changed with them first. But here’s my question, I’m a permanent resident/born outside of Canada, can I still assume my husband’s last name – like Citizens are able to – and get it changed on my Services Card, BCID, SIN etc without having to legally change it? I understand for my PR Card and immigration documents I would need a legal change of name, but I don’t want to do that just yet, so would having my PR card with my maiden name and all my other BC ID under my husband’s last name be a problem?

  12. Tilly on February 9, 2018 at 9:29 pm

    Just got my BC Services Card; it is issued only for a four-year term and not the regular five years. I do not have a DL so there shouldn’t be any issues about matching the expiration dates.

  13. Shawna on January 27, 2018 at 12:23 pm

    Can an ICBC agent stop me from taking the knowledge test ???she said she thinks !!!! I am not a BC resident ???

  14. Berry on January 15, 2018 at 8:44 am

    Is it that every BC citizen have to renew our Care Card before February 2018? What if we passed that date to renew, will there be any penalty or something? Is it a “must-do” process for BC citizen?

  15. userlia on January 13, 2018 at 7:29 pm

    i’m a few years late but have a question! lol, i’ll try. so I almost didn’t get inside a place the other day because my driving licence “didn’t look like my face”. it was a friends home where they live with nursing staff who wanted my ID as it’s a known drug hotspot. the photo has me with a hairstyle i do not wear (had to shave head a month before photo) and i’ve gained some weight since i was very ill at time of photo and down in weight, and recently taking hormones did the opposite and put me on a fair amount of weight. my face also changes when i have get puffy from an immune problem that causes allergy type reactions on a chronic basis. so it didn’t look much like me. i’m concerned about it now, as it’s my only piece of photo ID besides my passport, which i can’t carry around. is there a way to get a new photo? i’m carrying a copy of my birth certificate for now in hopes that helps my case. my bank has never had a problem with my card yet. what to do? cheers.

    • userlia on January 13, 2018 at 7:47 pm

      also my weight was not changed from my last licence. it’s off by almost 20kg. i find that unacceptable that they never asked for my new weight! it’s been 7 years. if i went missing, i assume the police would not use my card as a tool.
      a bit off topic but
      what i do know is they have looked for me before on several occasions of runaways and assume a transgender guy might look female. i don’t, and they then ask what name i use and think i’m a transgender women sometimes. same in hospital the T designation really confuses everyone and i’m treated as if i’m a trans women instead of a transguy based on my masculinity. they really need FTM instead, because even the doctors assumptions have interfered with diagnosis when they thought i would not have ovaries. it was nice that all the nurses tried to call me “she” and stuff but their efforts were a good waste. i never get misgendered in public so it catches me off guard.

      • tranbceditor on January 15, 2018 at 4:03 pm

        Hi there,

        I suggest contacting ICBC about making changes to your licence. Give their driving licensing info line call. They’d be happy to help.
        B.C., Canada and the U.S.: ​1-800-950-1498​
        ​Greater Victoria 250-978-8300​
        Other countries​ 250-978-8300 (they accept collect calls)

        Hope this helps. Good luck!

  16. Eric on December 6, 2017 at 10:19 am

    I have an outstanding SkyTrain ticket due to losing my pass a few years back. My wallet was recently stolen as well. Will this affect my ability to get a BCID?

  17. Maan on November 24, 2017 at 11:18 am

    How does one go about renewing MSP and Driver’s License after years of staying outside Canada? I’m a Permanent Resident (BC). Our MSP (with husband) was terminated when we left in 2013, consequently, my DL expired in 2014 and so his (not sure on his year, though). I just came back this month (November) and wondering how to go about doing both. I brought with me the documents for presentation and was advised by friends to go to Service Canada, is that right??? I did not employ myself while I was out of Canada and still unemployed as of this writing.
    Is there any moratorium or leeway on the monthly cost of MSP since (1). We used to pay as a couple. However, I’m by myself now, husband stayed behind and (2). I got no employment yet
    Your immediate advise please. Thanks

    • tranbceditor on November 27, 2017 at 10:20 am

      Hello Maan,

      Thanks for your comment here. Please connect directly with BC Health Services and ICBC to update your MSP and Driver’s License.

  18. Rhonda Spike on November 8, 2017 at 1:30 pm

    My 90 year old mother has no picture ID and has lost her Care Card. Is she doomed to not getting a card or what do you suggest she does.

  19. Diane Stephens on November 6, 2017 at 11:02 am

    I am over 75. My non photo BC Care card expires in Feb 2023.Will they send me a renewal form /reminder in the mail or will it be automatically renewed since it doesn’t require a photo.

    • tranbceditor on November 6, 2017 at 2:24 pm

      Hi Diane,

      Good question! Unfortunately, we can’t give you the answer, but if you call Health Insurance BC at 604 683-7151 or 1 800 663-7100 they can give you more information on the non-photo card. Hope that this helps!

  20. Ronald Dang on November 3, 2017 at 10:31 pm

    Hi I wanted to know if my wife can use my care card

  21. Attila Kiss on April 6, 2017 at 10:38 am

    Hello Tranbceditor,

    I am a Canadian citizen and I have lived in BC holding a BC CareCard between 1989 and 1992. Later I have lived in Ontario and in Florida and now I am living in Europe. I plan to move back to Victoria, BC and re-establish residency there in this summer. My question is: How and where will I get back my Personal Health Identification number and my new BC Servcies Card? I do not know my old Personal Health Identification number. What shall I do now? Will Service BC be able to trace back my Personal Health Identification number used in 1989-1992 and issue a new BC Services Card?

    Yours Sincerely:
    Mr. Attila Kiss

  22. Becky on March 21, 2017 at 3:35 am

    Am a non-resident Canadian so I don’t have valid care card but only holding valid BCID & Canada Passport. I am planning to come back to BC to renew my driver’s license in 2018. What identification should I bring for the renewal? Thank you!!

  23. Tyler on March 18, 2017 at 10:24 am

    I’ve applied to get my service card and have been billed but I have yet to receive a physical copy. When will I get my card this is ridiculous.

  24. dave on March 6, 2017 at 8:14 pm

    i Just got my drivers licence and service card last week and it expires next year any idea what the reasons for that could be?

  25. Karen Burrows on February 21, 2017 at 1:16 pm

    My daughter went to get her new care card. Her NDL name does not match her Passport and now they say she has to pay $17 to get a new DL because the name doesn’t match and she can’t get a new care card with out paying this fee. This is ridiculous that she has to pay because ICBC has taken over the care cards and the policy has changed. She used her passport to get her NDL and at that time they should have made sure policy was being followed.
    So new care cards do cost $$$$$

    • tranbceditor on February 24, 2017 at 11:48 am

      Hello Karen,

      We shared your comment with ICBC directly and they informed us that, due to privacy reasons, they are not able to look into your daughter’s account. Please have your daughter call ICBC’s driver licensing department and they can verify her identity and can look into this specific situation further. They can be reached at 1-250-978-8300 or 1-800-950-1498 and are available Monday – Friday 8:00am – 6:00pm (Pacific Time) and Saturdays 9:00am – 5:00pm (Pacific Time).

  26. Krysta on January 22, 2017 at 12:40 pm

    I got my bc Id & my care card renewed yesterday after 5 years & didnt receive either of my old cards back & was not given a temporary id & I need my Id before my new one comes in a month. Am I able to get photo copys of my id’s so Im not idless for an entire month?

  27. Caity on January 16, 2017 at 1:08 pm

    I recently changed my last name on my licence , as I just got married . I just realized my health care number is not on the back of my licence … what do I use now for my health care ? I dont even know my number …

  28. Aaron on December 31, 2016 at 4:40 pm

    Can this service card be combines with the enhanced drivers license?

  29. Savana on December 13, 2016 at 2:09 pm

    Can I take a picture of my msp enrolment forms and e mail them?

  30. Tammy lind on December 10, 2016 at 4:13 am

    Please help I have lost my bc care card now I only have my birth certificates how can I get a newcare card with only 1 piece of id now?

  31. Carly on November 29, 2016 at 6:46 pm

    My sons msp card has the wrong year printed on it. Can I change or fix this online instead of travelling to an office

    • tranbceditor on November 30, 2016 at 11:56 am

      Hi Carly,

      Please contact the BC Services Card folks directly.
      Contact us Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 5pm Pacific Time.
      Victoria 250-387-6121
      Vancouver 604-660-2421
      Elsewhere in B.C. 1-800-663-7867
      Outside B.C. 604-660-2421

  32. Meghan on November 16, 2016 at 11:32 pm

    Hello,I have my drivers license but I need another peice of photo ID other than a passport for a interview I also need it asap what would you recommend and how fast could I get it and also what would be the cost.

    Thank you, meghan

  33. Ihavedifferent names on November 16, 2016 at 3:53 pm

    So i went to my local icbc for my driver’s license renewal. Anyways this is what happened, they took both my old dl and care card and asked me if i want the combo card and I say yes. He then checked that my carecard and dl doesnt match, which is the case, so there goes the old problem LoLs, so he asked me if i have any photocopy of my citizenship documents (i didnt bring it). But im quick to tell him about what i did to hibc/msp which i sent them the required documents in victoria last nov.2, he then asked me “are you sure, your name on this dl is the same name on your citizenship paper?” I told him, “yes 100% same. Sure.” (Im sameul lamont jackson in my dl, sameul lamont jackson on my citizenship paper). Thats it, he charged my Visa$75 then took me for picture (very ugly me picture..hey i just came from my graveyard shift hehe). Gave me an interim dl printout and told me to wait for my card in the mail. The end.

    (Off topic but, i have to call hibc and asked if they have updated my name, i think ima just ask the guy, “hey whats up dude? Whats my name in your system Right Now?” If he says Samuel Lamont Jackson they for sure its updated already.

  34. Ihavedifferent names on November 14, 2016 at 9:08 am

    Lol barbara, thanks for the heads up. Anyway i already sent the required documents to hibc in victoria last nov.2, guy on the hibc phone line says i need to send them a photocopy of my care card and citizenship paper to which i did (we have same problem name on old care card doesnt have middle name but dl is complete name) anyway i havent heard from hibc. Meanwhile my driver’s license is about to expire next week and i drive to work so i really dont know what ima do but for sure ima go to icbc and renew my license. Can’t wait for them hibc for an update.

  35. Barbara Schwandt on November 1, 2016 at 3:42 pm

    I recently got a letter from Health Insurance B.C. about the fact my Name on my Care Card and my Drivers license don’t match. the only difference is that my drivers license has my middle name and my care card doesn’t. I called and I was told I had to send a copy of my birth certificate before they would allow me to get a new care card. I need to renew my drivers license this month so I was going to just do it all at the same time and get the combined card. My neighbour told me she had a problem with her name being different as well and she said she just need to take her drivers license when she renewed. When I called BC Health Care they are telling me I have to send the copy to Victoria. I don’t see why I can’t do this all at the same time at the motor vehicle place.Its a waste of my time and effort to do the victoria thing when I need to go to renew my drivers license anyway.

    • tranbceditor on November 3, 2016 at 12:03 pm

      Hi Barbara,

      Thanks for connecting with us here. We have sent your question forward to the BC Services Card folks for review.

    • tranbceditor on December 7, 2016 at 2:47 pm

      Hello Barbara,

      We asked the folks responsible directly for a response to your question and here is their response. Hope it helps.

      Thank you for your post regarding updating your name with Health Insurance BC (HIBC) prior to renewing your Driver’s Licence in order to obtain your combined BC Driver’s Licence/ BC Services Card.

      The BC Services Card is a secure photo credential that will identify you when accessing not only health services, but in future, many other government services. In order to protect your identity, it is important that your BC Services Card is issued under your legal name and that the same legal name is recorded for the purposes of accessing health care by HIBC. As of April 1, 2005, Medical Services Plan (MSP) policy requires proof of a person’s full legal name in order to make a change to MSP records.

      Please contact HIBC if you have any more questions and thank you for your post.

  36. Ihavedifferent names on October 31, 2016 at 8:42 am

    My drivers license will expire next month. Yup i have a the old care card and my driver’s license. I haven’t gotten any letter from icbc about my driver’s license renewal but they usually send you a renewal notice. I did change my address before and icbc was quick to send me a sticker address change. Anyway i got a letter from msp saying my name on care card and driver’s license do not much which is true. My carecard name is sameul jackson and my driver’s license is samuel lamont jackson (not my real name but you get the point, i have no middle name in my care card) so i got a letter from msp saying to contact them first for this brohaha before i renew my driver’s license. So keep posted people, i will update this post after im done…

    • tranbceditor on October 31, 2016 at 3:26 pm

      Hi Samuel,

      Have you contacted the BC Services Card people directly?

      • Ihavedifferent names on November 16, 2016 at 4:13 pm

        (yup i called hibc, and they told me send them photocopy of my citizenship paper + care card) to their hibc Victoria bc address which i did)

  37. Peggy on July 29, 2016 at 11:36 am

    I have looked high and low and cannot for the life of me find the reason for the combined cards to not be considered as two pieces of ID. If the DL and the old Care Card are produced, it is two. If there are two separate cards (DL and the Services Card), they are considered two. The DL and Services Cards use the same picture and the same signature. We need an actual reason for it not to be considered to be two pieces of ID.

    • tranbceditor on July 29, 2016 at 12:56 pm

      Hi Peggy,

      Thanks for your comments about the drivers licence combined with the Care Card. While we posted this as an information item for our readers (many of whom have driver’s licences) the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure does not operate this program. I suggest you contact the number provided on the website, which is available Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 5pm Pacific Time.
      Victoria 250-387-6121
      Vancouver 604-660-2421
      Elsewhere in B.C. 1-800-663-7867
      Outside B.C. 604-660-2421

      There is also an online form should you wish to submit your comments in writing: https://forms.gov.bc.ca/

      • Peggy on July 29, 2016 at 1:10 pm

        Thank you so much! I will do that… 🙂

  38. Christa. Buckland on July 22, 2016 at 11:59 am

    In Feb. I applied for and got my BCID and BCSC cards, Feb. 12th, 2016 to be exact. Just yesterday in the mail I got a notice for renewal by my birthday in Aug 2016 Don`t we get 5 years not 6 months! Looked on the actual card and sure enough it says issued Feb 12, 2016 expires Aug 2016 thats ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and will get expensive!!!!!!!!!!!

    • tranbceditor on July 25, 2016 at 11:39 am

      Hi Christa,

      Thanks for your enquiry about your BCID and BCSC cards.

      The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (this organization) does not issue ID. Please direct your BC Services Card questions to Health Insurance BC:
      Lower Mainland: 604 683-7151
      Elsewhere in B.C.: 1 800 663-7100

  39. Christa. Buckland on July 22, 2016 at 11:52 am

    83 W. Pender St.

  40. Evelyn on July 9, 2016 at 4:05 pm

    I have just renewed my DL and chose to combined with BC Services car..
    Can I uncombined them next time I renew it?

    • tranbceditor on July 12, 2016 at 11:36 am

      Hi Evelyn,
      I’d suggest contacting ICBC directly at 1-800-950-1498. They should be able to help you.

  41. Ebrahim Akede on July 8, 2016 at 9:11 am

    Hi .my bc id is expiered what do I need to get the new one and also I would like to change my care card as well would any one please could tell me what I need to bring whit me

  42. Shelly on June 30, 2016 at 4:57 pm

    I was wondering why we have to pay to renew our care care.. Iam on social assestence . And can’t afford to renew . We never had to pay before one card for life . What’s the deal ..

    • tranbceditor on July 4, 2016 at 3:34 pm

      Hi Shelly,

      There is no fee to get a BC Services Card. However, if you’re combining your BC Services Card with your driver’s licence, fees that apply to the regular driver’s licence issuance process still apply.

  43. Junie on June 1, 2016 at 6:17 pm

    All my documents on income tax, passport, pension plan, MSP, bank loans, credit cards, etc, and up until today, my BCDL had my English name followed by my Chinese name and then last name. Today when I went to renew my BCDL, I was told that since my Canadian citizenship card only shows my Chinese name as the legal name, and my English name as the preferred name, they can only issue my BCDL in my Chinese name only.

    The only recourse is to go to Vital Statistic Canada and pay for a legal name change. Pay to get it notarized. Pay to get a criminal record check to send along with the paper work so that I can get my BCDL to have the name that I have been using for over 40 years and has always been on my BCDL until today. How can this be?

    What can be done here? I was told nothing, and my only recourse is to pay over $200 and do all this paperwork. Please help!

    • tranbceditor on June 2, 2016 at 9:16 am

      Hi Junie,

      We are sorry to hear your frustration regarding your BC Drivers License. We encourage you to contact the customer support centre at ICBC directly at this number: 1-800-950-1498. A representative is available to assist you by telephone between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time Monday through Friday. We hope this helps!

      • Junie on June 10, 2016 at 9:56 pm

        Thank you for your help. The CS reps at the ICBC support center were very helpful, and so were the staff and the supervisor at the Burnaby Lougheed Licensing Center.

        All the misinformation and mishandling came from the Port Coquitlam Licensing Center, and when I went back there to see the supervisor as advised by the ICBC support center, he was extremely rude, unhelpful and dishonest. That is why I went to Burnaby to get the help that I needed.

        Could you please forward to me the contact details of someone that I can make a formal complaint to with regards to this supervisor at the Port Coquitlam location?

        • tranbceditor on June 13, 2016 at 9:44 am

          Hi Junie,

          Here’s some more information on filing a formal complaint with ICBC:

          Contact our customer relations department

          If the manager/supervior wasn’t able to resolve your issue, or you used an appeal process but aren’t satisfied, our customer relations department can help.

          A customer relations advisor can:

          Explain the details of our products and services.
          Help you understand the decisions and actions related to your concern.
          Refer you to alternatives that you may not know about or haven’t tried.
          Investigate a decision or process that you believe was unfair and help resolve the issue, if possible.

          We also work with these agencies to help resolve ICBC-related complaints and questions:

          ICBC’s fairness commissioner
          B.C.’s Office of the Ombudsperson
          MLA constituency offices
          Better Business Bureau

          How to reach us
          ​Phone 1-800-445-9981

          Monday to Friday:
          8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m​
          Email​ Customer Relations
          Fax​ 604-661-2896​
          Mail​ Customer Relations
          151 West Esplanade
          North Vancouver BC V7M 3H9

    • Alexis on October 28, 2016 at 1:32 pm

      I have a similar issue. May I ask how the issue was resolved? Ddi you get to keep the English name on your driver license? If so, how to do it?

      Thank you so much.

  44. Kirsten on May 22, 2016 at 2:37 pm

    Hi there,

    Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to receive your BC Services Card in the mail once you’ve gone to ICBC to take the photo?

  45. louie on May 4, 2016 at 11:26 pm

    Can Service Card serve as ID or besides possessing Service Card I must apply for separate BCID?
    p.s.I dont drive,ICBC blocked my driver’s licence due to outstanding fines back from 10 years ago.

  46. Jen on January 21, 2016 at 11:44 pm

    We just recently moved here from Saskatchewan with my family. I and my husband has already accomplished having our DL with our complete name written on it. Then, we enrolled for MSP and we received a letter from HIBC stating that we need to go to ICBC for our photograph to be taken to be able to complete the MSP enrollment. However, the staff in the counter did not continue to pursue with the photo taking due to the problem existing in their system when she tried to access my file. The lady did not explained to me very well what the real problem is but she mentioned like there is a missmatched names on the ID’s that is why she couldnt get through it in the computer. And the same problem with my husband on the other counter with another staff . The lady said sorry but I could’nt fix the problem you need to contact the HIBC and she handed me the HIBC leaflet with the contact number.
    The following day I phoned the HIBC and the lady on the phone explained to me that there is a problem with my name which is my middle name. She said my PR card name does not match with the other ID. I do have a long name so my middle name in my PR card is incomplete, the last 3 letters was not included and same with my husband, his middle name is missing 1 letter too (Maybe we’re not the only one’s/ and maybe thats how they do with the PR card if you really have long names). She told me to go back to ICBC and change my name or to go to immigration to change my PR card. What? Why? This is the first time I encounter this kind of problem . I asked the lady on the phone that why should I change my name with the incomplete middle name? And she answered me back that its because they only follow what was written on the PR card. This is ridiculous. Please help me, I dont know what to do? Should I go to immigration or service canada and tell them to put the whole letters of my middle name on my PR card or should I go back to ICBC and tell them to change my complete middle name to incomplete middle name? Its really confusing.

    • tranbceditor on January 22, 2016 at 10:17 am

      Hi Jen,

      We are looking into this for you and hope to get you some more information next week. Hope this helps!

    • tranbceditor on January 27, 2016 at 11:06 am

      Hi Jen,

      We spoke to the folks at ICBC and they have asked that you please call their call centre at 1-800-950-1498 and ask to speak directly with a supervisor. This should escalate your issue and get you some clarity around next steps. Hope that this helps!

  47. Brittney on December 18, 2015 at 12:57 pm

    I have just recently moved here from Alberta and don’t plan on changing my license right away as I do not drive here.
    Can I apply for a BC care card before I switch my license to BC?

  48. David on December 17, 2015 at 10:55 am

    Hi there I am just wondering about when I renew my back ID….I surrender my drivers license because I owed icbc money for my drivers points premium…it’s now come time to renew bcid…can icbc not issue me a new bcid for outstanding debt with them?

  49. Sue on December 15, 2015 at 11:40 am

    My husband just had his licence renewed and chose to get the separate services card.. There is a note stating that he has to renew enrolment in the Medical Services Plan by the expiry date on this card {which is Dec 2020}…Why isn’t the MSP just carried over to the new card…We like the old card card because for seniors it is a different colour and be spotted in an instant, where as the new card would actually need reading the info… Thankyou

    • tranbceditor on December 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

      Hi Sue,
      Let us connect you directly with the folks responsible for the BC Services Card program. Here is their contact information:


      Health Insurance BC
      PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt
      Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E3

      Lower Mainland: 604 683-7151
      Elsewhere in B.C.: Toll-free: 1 800 663-7100

      Hope that this helps!

  50. Esther on December 10, 2015 at 3:56 pm

    Hi there, I was wondering if you could give me some answers. I live out of the country at the moment, but am returning next year, I visited my family this year and had my care card updated to the new one. Does that mean that when I come back next year, that I will have health care, or do I need to apply and wait the 3 months?

  51. Laize on December 1, 2015 at 11:43 am

    How to switch back to a separate driving licence and health care? I just renewed my driving license and the ICBC agent suggested to combine driving license and heath care which I did. Unfortunately this was a bad idea because now I have only one ID with my photo instead of two and business like banks still request two IDs. I really think that this issue is not addressed properly. I noticed other people complaining about it but then why to suggest to people to combine without to explain them the drawback?
    I really unhappy about my experience at that point with this combined card.

    • tranbceditor on December 1, 2015 at 4:16 pm

      Hi Laize,

      We are sorry to hear your frustration and suggest you connect directly with the BC Services Card team at this site. Here is the website: http://www.bcservicescard.ca

  52. Angela on October 29, 2015 at 8:45 am

    When I get my new health card, what would I do with the old care card?

  53. pariah on September 30, 2015 at 9:27 pm

    My husband and I have recently moved our family to Fort St John, BC.. I have lived in BC for almost 30 years of which 23 of those years I worked as a Paramedic in the lower mainland. I was born with an adrenal gland deficiency and i also suffered a workplace accident which left me with chronic pain. Both of these medical conditions require ongoing care and medications which I must take or i will become seriously ill. Apparently there is a severe shortage of Physicians in the northern region and my search for a Doctor wasn’t successful. . I made an appointment at a clinic called the unattached patient clinic as advised when i hopelessly called the good people in the emergency department for advice. I arrived for my appointment and informed the receptionist that I had just realized that I didn’t know where my care card was and could have lost it in the move but I did know my number and i had my drivers license with me. I was in their system and I answered all the questions they asked such as dob etc and everything matched up. Then I was told I would be able to see a Doctor but only if I paid cash upfront. I said I couldn’t afford the $I60 they wanted and I was in desperate need of meds. They turned me away anyway with instructions not to bother coming back until I could produce a physical card. The only explanation I got was it’s policy. I remain unwell and wish I had a combined MSP care card and DL because obviously in this case, one isn’t good without the other in spite of my registration being in their system.

    • tranbceditor on October 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm

      Hello Shannie,

      Thanks for connecting with us here and we hope that you are feeling better. Your best point of contact for clarification is at Health Insurance BC (HIBC).

      They can be reached at:
      (Lower Mainland) 604-683-7151
      (Elsewhere in BC) 1-800-663-7100

      Customer service representatives are available Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (except statutory holidays). Hope this helps!

  54. jerry on September 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm

    Hi, I am a new comer who came in March this year with my family.
    My wife and I enrolled for MSP and have bee n paying MSP payment. However, we did not get a care card. How can i get my care card?

  55. dale kerr on August 31, 2015 at 1:54 pm

    I just received my BC Services Card. The paperwork with it seems very confusing. It says I have to renew my MSP enrollment. I called MSP and she says not now, but renew before it expires. You say they don’t send out a courtesy notice when it’s time. Why is it necessary to renew at all? I let them know if anything changes. It sounds to me like they’ve lost track of their own data and want us to clean it up. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work on our part.

    • tranbceditor on August 31, 2015 at 8:50 pm

      Hi Dale,
      The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure is not actually involved with issuing BC Services Card; MSP/ICBC are the agencies responsible and are the best source of information.
      I am speculating that they require people to renew their cards every few years, to verify the cardholder’s information and make sure that it is current, and to ensure that services aren’t being fraudulently used. You may want to mark the expiry date indicated on your card, in a calendar, to remind you when it’s time to renew your card.

  56. Terry on August 26, 2015 at 10:04 pm

    Hello, I got a BC Services Card statement of declaration from ICBC, but to where I have to send this paper to enrole or renew my soon will be expired medical card?

  57. cecilia tse on August 17, 2015 at 5:44 pm

    I recently went to renew my driver’s licence. Since the order of my name on the care card does not match my name on my driver’s licence. The officer asked me to change my name on the care card before I go back to get my licence. How do I go about changing my name on the care card?

    • tranbceditor on August 18, 2015 at 2:55 pm

      Hi Cecilia,

      Please contact this number to clarify your best course of action. 1-800-950-1498. Hope that this helps.

  58. Kevin on July 31, 2015 at 7:32 pm

    Where do I get photo taken for new care card?

  59. julia Skead on July 30, 2015 at 10:59 am

    Have my BC Services card now…replacing my CARD card. Saw a comment here saying new card expires in 5 years. Mine expires in less than 2…in 2017,on the date my Driver’s License has to be renewed. Why do I get less than 2 years on my newly issued BC Services card.

    Will I get a 5 year renewal in 2017?

    Also….what is the renewal procedure? Will I get a letter in the mail and have to go in to my local govt. office?

    • tranbceditor on July 30, 2015 at 3:43 pm

      Hi Julia,

      We have sent your question forward to our contact at ICBC – stay tuned for more information.

    • tranbceditor on August 12, 2015 at 9:39 am

      Hi Julia,

      ICBC has responded directly to you with a response for your question, but we thought we would share their answer here as well, in case other people might have the same question.

      Typically a BC Services Card will be issued for a 5 year term. However, as they are required to be paired up to match the expiry of your driver’s licence or BCID card, your initial card will likely reflect the expiration of your current card rather than the full term. In 2017 when both cards are up for renewal, you will receive the full 5 years.

      Please be aware that ICBC does send out a courtesy renewal notice but you are ultimately responsible for their renewal. It is always a safe practise to double check your expiration dates every year or two.

  60. Carmell Funk on June 25, 2015 at 4:55 pm

    I have a problem. I renewed my driver licence today. I am trying to correct my care card, I would like it to be CARMELL EVELIN Funk. That is what is on my birth certificate. I phoned the number 604 683 7151. He said that I would have to send two piece of I.D. But the problem is My marriage Licence is wrong also They spelled both of my middle names wrong. The gentleman had said to photo copy my birth certificate and mail it in to the Provincial Government. Do I send a copy of the marriage licence and state that the two middle names are spelled wrong. I am not sure what to do.

  61. Elaine on May 14, 2015 at 11:52 pm


    I had a rather disappointing conversation with the receptionist at the ICBC Burnaby Lougheed branch today and hope that I could get some help here.

    BC Services said I could not have my services card until I get my names consistent between ICBC and MSP.

    The name order with both MSP and ICBC are exactly the same. The only difference is that ICBC put my Chinese names (2 words) and my English name as 1st, 2nd and 3rd names respectively. I have, however, only 1 first name which include my two Chinese names followed by my English name (xxx yyy Elaine).

    The reason given by the lady at the reception was that she could not put 2 names (my Chinese names) that are not hyphenated in the same box on the computer for ‘First Name’. She followed by telling me that I cannot have all three names as my first names. This was particularly insulting as she was telling me how my name should be when I tried explaining to her that I’ve always put all three names as my first name in any government forms including my citizenship certificate application/ passport. I have always had both my Chinese and English names as my first names. She said I need to change my name so that all 3 names are hyphenated (xxx-yyy-Elaine) which did not make any sense at all.

    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

    • tranbceditor on May 15, 2015 at 9:55 am

      Hi Elaine,

      Thanks for connecting with us here. We have sent your comment forward to our contact at ICBC and we will let you know as soon as we hear back. Stay tuned.

  62. Roberto on April 7, 2015 at 7:22 am

    Does this mean that ICBC will deny drivers license renewals to people behind on their MSP premiums?

  63. Annie KO on March 13, 2015 at 1:32 pm

    I want to know my care card with my first name printed and EDL is without my first name show on EDL, As they have removed my first name about four and half yrs ago when I renew my DL. what should be the proper procedure and pls guide me to the right way. thanks

    • tranbceditor on March 13, 2015 at 2:17 pm

      Hi Annie,
      I would recommend contacting ICBC to help you with this. They should be able to guide you through.

  64. Annie on February 23, 2015 at 1:47 am

    I renewed my driver licence and BC services card (two independent cards separately) in the end of January and I have got the interims from ICBC. However, it has been almost 30 days and I still have not received my driver licence nor BC Services card. I am thinking if my services card application may have been rejected. If my application for BC service card is rejected, will it affect my driver licence application? Thank you very much!

    • tranbceditor on February 23, 2015 at 3:27 pm

      Hi Annie,

      We recommend connecting with ICBC directly. Here is there contact information: 1-800-950-1498

      Many thanks!

  65. Ryan on February 16, 2015 at 11:38 pm

    What happens if one is content to keep their old care card and not replace it with the new one that needs to be renewed every 5 years? Will the old care card still be valid to obtain medical services? I have yet read anything to convince me that there is any advantage to getting the BC Services Card to replace my Care Card.

    • tranbceditor on February 17, 2015 at 10:42 am

      Hi Ryan,

      We have forwarded your question to the good folks at ICBC to get you an answer. Stay tuned.

      • tranbceditor on March 4, 2015 at 9:55 am

        Hi again Ryan,

        Sorry for the delay in getting you an answer. All eligible adults in BC will have until 2018 to renew their MSP enrolment and get a new BC Services Card. However, it may be a good idea to apply for the new BC Services Card prior to that. The Care Card has not been updated since 1989, and since then there have been advances in card technology that provide better security features. It will also include a photo (if you apply for a photo BC Services Card) that you can use as photo identification. Also, the BC Services Card will use ICBC’s existing identify proofing and renewal processes that will keep everyone’s personal information more secure and help prevent fraud such as identity theft and misuse of government services. You will also have the choice to combine it with your driver’s licence (if you hold one) so you can have one card for both services.

        After 2018, failure to renew enrolment in MSP may result in cancellation of MSP coverage. This means you might have to pay for medical services like a visit to your doctor. However, please note that in emergency situations, no one will be denied essential medical services.
        For more information regarding the BC Services Card, please visit the HIBC web site or contact Service BC, a representative is available to assist you by telephone Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 5pm Pacific Time.

  66. tranbceditor on February 10, 2015 at 10:30 am

    Hello Diana,

    Could you contact ICBC at 1-800-950-1498?

    They would like to help you directly.

    Many thanks!

  67. Diana on February 9, 2015 at 9:16 pm

    Hi there,

    I have a similar problem to a couple of the commentators. The names on my IDs don’t match and is a combination of either only my english name or my chinese name or both. For sure, my driver licence and my BC care card don’t match. how do I go about fixing this?


  68. Michael on October 9, 2014 at 12:57 pm

    I’d like to keep seperate ID cards for my driving privilege and health care.
    Renewing my driver’s license yesterday, I was told, in no uncertain terms, that it is *mandatory* to combine the 2 cards in 2018 and since my renewal falls within the 5 year window, that my driver’s license becomes invalid in just over 3 years now and I’d have to pay the fee again.
    Why is our government forcing us to combine two unrelated services ? What’s next, chip implants ?

    • tranbceditor on October 10, 2014 at 12:24 pm

      Hi Michael,

      Service BC states that the new card system provides enhanced security, among other benefits. For more information, please visit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id=FFC6C74C6D474EBBA30A9AC54899FB6A

      • Michael on October 10, 2014 at 7:16 pm

        Nice marketing answer, but completely ignoring my concerns.

        Security features is one thing, but combining two IDs another.
        Why does the government invalidate my drivers license in 2018, just because I’d like to keep a seperate Care Card ?
        Besides, most of the recent security leaks have come from the inside.

  69. MChan on October 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm

    As I was told Social Insurance Number (SIN Card) cannot be treated as a piece of ID.

  70. Mandy Lau on September 10, 2014 at 11:59 pm

    I renew my driver’s licence few days ago they said that my name does not match my MSP. And ask me to change name, now I have some question as below:-

    the driver licence name is need match MSP (care card ) name. Is it a canada citizenship card front side name? if I use front side name is it ok? the bc service card name is same

    • tranbceditor on September 11, 2014 at 9:45 am

      Hi there Mandy,

      We are sharing your question forward with the good folks at ICBC. Stay tuned.

      • tranbceditor on September 11, 2014 at 10:28 am


        Could you please contact ICBC at 1-800-950-1498?

        They would like to help you directly.

        Many thanks!

  71. Cheryl on July 6, 2014 at 3:21 pm

    Hi there!

    I really hope you can help me out. I tried to renew my driver’s license a few days ago and they said my name does not match with my MSP. I’ve been using my English name for over 50 years and every thing I have under is “English name then my chinese name OR Chinese name then English name” (except my marriage and birth certificate which is under my chinese name). I know there are many people out there that goes by their English name.

    I want to know if everything (life insurance, house deed, bank accounts, CRA… etc) should be under my legal name that’s on my birth certificate/marriage license or not?

    I’ve called up ICBC, MSP, CRA and they couldn’t even answer my question. ICBC and MSP said it wasn’t a big deal. It’s a big deal when my finance, will, life insurance and so forth is on the line.

    They wouldn’t even renew my driver’s license all over a name, because it doesn’t match MSP.

    • tranbceditor on July 7, 2014 at 9:37 am

      Hi Cheryl,
      I’ll contact you over email. I’ve been in touch with ICBC and they will follow up with you.

  72. Aaron Sears on June 17, 2014 at 3:01 pm

    I have lost all my pieces of ID that had a signature on them. I have been to Service BC in Vernon where I live and was told by them (Service BC)to go to passport Canada in Kelowna, get a passport and come back. Passport Canada (Kelowna) says no way it can do that because I need something with a picture and signature on it,so off I went back to Service BC and there I still had no satisfaction. I have a Care Card but it is old style with no picture and signature on it. I do not know where to go now, can you please help.

    • tranbceditor on June 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm

      Hi Aaron.

      We are looking into an answer for you. A quick search reveals that photo id is required to reissue many forms of ID. We will let you know as soon as we do what steps you should take.

    • tranbceditor on June 18, 2014 at 4:32 pm

      Hi Aaron,

      Here is what we were able to dig up for you:

      If you were born in Canada, applying for a replacement birth certificate through Vital Statistics is going to be your best option because ICBC will accept it as primary identification. You mentioned that you already have the old style Care Card which we will accept as secondary identification (as long as the names match) which should solve his issue.

      Things can be a little trickier if you were born outside of Canada. First, you will need to apply for a replacement citizenship card through CIC and then use that to apply for your Canadian passport. The secondary identification page on Passport Canada’s website indicates that your old Care Card may work for the secondary piece they require.

      Once you get either of these documents, Service BC should be able to help you out a little further. Hope that this helps!

      • Aaron Sears on June 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm

        I have lost my old card card so I have my new care card with no picture on it or signature and my new Canadian Citizenship Paper.

      • Aaron Sears on June 19, 2014 at 10:35 pm

        I think we may have gotten our wires crossed. I lost my wallet that had all of my ID including my Canadian Citizenship card with the picture on it. I didn’t have any ID at all to start so I called Service BC and they sent me a new style Care Card that doesn’t have a picture or a signature . Then I spent a bunch of money to take photocopy’s the Ministry had on file to a Lawyer with my mother Passport with me on it as a baby since I was born outside Canada and my German Birth Certificate and her Birth Certificate. Using that information enabled me to get the new Canadian Citizenship paper. Now I have a Canadian Citizenship paper with no picture or signature and a new Care Card with no picture or signature and Passport Canada, ICBC, Service BC, everywhere won’t take it and I have no clue what to do now!

        • tranbceditor on June 20, 2014 at 9:20 am

          Oh dear, okay – I will pass that on and see what we can do. Stay tuned.

        • tranbceditor on June 20, 2014 at 9:53 am

          Hi again Aaron,

          Our contact has asked you to call her at the call centre directly. 1-800-950-1498. Thanks!

          • Aaron Sears on June 20, 2014 at 1:44 pm

            I called the phone number and they informed me I need to talk to Passport Canada. It’s always talk to Passport Canada and they always tell me to talk to you. What am I supposed to do? Can you email me or call me?

          • tranbceditor on June 20, 2014 at 4:24 pm

            Hi Aaron,

            We have sent you an email.

      • paul davidson on January 29, 2015 at 8:22 am

        Just in case anyone needs to fill out a USCIS Application for Replacement Citizenship, I found a blank form in this site PDFfiller. This site also has some tutorials how to fill it out and a few related forms that you might find useful.

  73. katherine on May 1, 2014 at 8:32 pm

    I go by a shortened version of my name (i.e. Kathy, not Katherine)
    Why can I not get a card with the name that I use?

    • joy on November 7, 2016 at 10:01 pm

      I was told that my drivers licence and medical card will have to match the name on my citizenship card. I have been using the current name on my driver’s licence for 50 years (I note that the medical card is missing one letter and so does not quite match my driver’s license). How do I proceed with using my name on my driver’s license for my medical card, if possible, as all my other ID’s are in my driver’s license name (ex banking, property, etc…). I would appreciate some assistance.

      • tranbceditor on November 8, 2016 at 12:22 pm

        Hi Joy,

        Please connect directly with the folks responsible for the BC Services Card here:

        Telephone: (604) 683-7151 (Vancouver)
        Telephone: 1-800-663-7100 (Elsewhere in B.C.)
        Address: Medical Services Plan PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E3

  74. jasmine on April 22, 2014 at 12:18 pm

    So does the combination of the drivers licence/care card on one card count as one piece of ID or two?

    • tranbceditor on April 22, 2014 at 2:35 pm

      Hi Jasmine,

      The combination of the two into one card also means that the new card only counts as one piece of ID.

  75. Ella on February 10, 2014 at 4:02 am

    I lost all of my “old” I.D and need to go through the process of replacing it all over again. I’ve lost my I.D more than once, so with the new services card will i need to pay a replacement fee? I’m on disability and cannot afford the $20 i was asked to pay last time. Hoping 4 sum good news.

  76. Mick on December 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm

    All I want to do is renew my DL. Can I still do that one and only thing? Thanks

    • tranbceditor on December 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

      Hi Mick – no problem. If you choose not to combine, you can still renew your drivers license and care card separately.

      • Elsie Dean on March 10, 2015 at 9:34 am

        I need to renew my drivers licence but at ICBC counter I was given a temporary DL and given a paper to phone BC Services Card statement of declaration and told to phone 604-683-7151 and they keep telling me to phone back next week. Problem name on care card and drivers licence not exactly the same. I need my DL and time is running out.

        • tranbceditor on March 11, 2015 at 11:48 am

          Hi Elsie,

          Thanks for connecting with us. We have found another number for you and hope you will get answers with it. 1-800-950-1498. Hope that this helps.

  77. Kayla on November 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm

    Like kent said about the 2 pieces of id question i wonder if you choose to get the cards separate rather then together then would the bc service card (photo) be able to be used as 2nd piece.

  78. J. Bulmer on October 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm

    Why do the new B.C. care cards have an expiry date if they are separate from the driver’s licence. My old one was good forever. Seems a waste of money to me.

    • tranbceditor on October 24, 2013 at 4:49 pm

      Hi J. Bulmer,

      We contacted ServicesBC with your question and they informed us that the new care cards use a renewal process to keep personal information secure and help prevent fraud such as identity theft or misuse of government services. Hope that helps!

  79. maila on June 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

    Do you need to sign the back of the new non photo bc service card?

    • tranbceditor on October 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm

      Hi Maila, sorry for the delay. We contacted ServiceBC and they informed us that there is no signature on the non photo BC Services Card.

  80. kent on May 9, 2013 at 5:21 pm

    I recently combined my two cards with regret. It is often required to haven two pieces of govn issued. Id to access services and now I only have one as it is not convenient to bring passport everywherd. Biirth certificate doesn’t have a signature. My only complaint

    • tranbceditor on May 10, 2013 at 9:49 am

      Interesting point Kent. We looked at the BC Services Card site and it indicates that your Social Insurance Card should also work as a secondary piece of id and is much more portable than your passport. Hope this helps and thanks for the feedback!

      • scott on November 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm

        Your social insurance card is not accepted at the Vancouver Police Department, so this card does cost me extra money as it has wasted my time making me return home to get my passport so i can apply for a criminal background check

    • J Lee on August 2, 2013 at 7:16 am

      Many provinces (such as Ontario) do not allow health card to be used as generic photo IDs. I’m not sure about BC, but definitely in Ontario.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.