Weighing In with the CVSE: No Such Thing as a Silly Question

commercial vehicle safety enforcement

Do you have a question for the CVSE? Contact them directly here.

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement Branch (CVSE) makes sure commercial carriers comply with the regulations surrounding moving goods across the province. It is a vital component of the work we do here in the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. Steve Bauer, former Supervisor of the Nordel Weigh Scale in the Lower Mainland, took time to answer some questions about his position and the role of the CVSE in keeping commercial transportation moving safely across the province.

CVSE staffer Steve Bauer answers trucking questions
Steve’s “Official Pose”

Q: What does a day in the life of a CVSE officer look like?

A: Actually, no two days here are ever really alike. The station is a constantly changing environment with new faces and new scenarios on a daily basis. Did you know that the Nordel Weigh Scale sees approximately 350 trucks per hour? That adds up to an incredible amount of volume in a single day.

Traffic volumes like that require a tight knit team and I can honestly say that we have a real camaraderie here at the station. I am currently supported by seven (soon to be nine) full time staff. Our Commercial Transport Inspector, whose position resides solely at the scale, will be joined by two more full time Inspectors at the end of March. There also are four Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers (CTEOs) at the station. They have a unique hybrid role which allows them to be both mobile and stationary at the scale when required. In addition to those officers, we recently welcomed two new staff members to our team who are in the training process to become CTEOs. Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers spend the majority of their day on the road seeking out evasive offenders who do not check into the weigh scales. Their patrol is focussed on, but not limited to: Delta, Richmond, New Westminster and Burnaby.

Q: Which leads to our next question; could you explain why the CVSE is so invaluable to the safety of the travelling public?

A: CVSE officers are, quite literally, experts in the field of commercial vehicle transportation safety and regulation. The decisions they make regarding compliance and enforcement, keep the province’s highways safer for the motoring public. It doesn’t get much bigger than that.

Q: What sort of questions do you hear most often about Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement?

A: Actually, I hear a lot of questions and sometimes people think their question is kind of silly, so, would like to stress that there are no silly questions. It is important for everyone to know that CVSE officers are here to answer any questions they might have and to use us as much as possible. We are trained in a variety of Provincial Acts and Regulation, Policies and Procedures which allows us to help educate drivers and would rather answer a hundred silly questions, than have to enforce compliance because no one asked.

Steve has been working with the CVSE for 13 years, and before joining the team, he worked in the trucking industry, driving North/South between Oregon, Washington and BC. His experience in the commercial trucking industry gives him the ability to understand life behind the wheel as well as life behind the scale. Thanks for sharing Steve!

If you have some questions about CVSE and the work they do, check out their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Page.

Page 1 of 173 comments on “Weighing In with the CVSE: No Such Thing as a Silly Question”

Leave a Comment

  1. Hi,
    I have recently moved from Toronto, Ontario to Duncan, BC. My household possessions are being shipped by a professional removals company. They will arrive in Vancouver very soon where they will offload the truck/trailer and put onto another truck/trailer for onward delivery to my address on the island. Now, my question is whether am I able to utilize the scale weighing facilities just outside of Duncan to weigh the truck before and after my possession are removed? I would like to be present on both occasions to inspect the results. The reason for this is because I am disputing the weight amount of my possessions claimed by the company…not just by a bit but double!!
    Thank you for any help/advice you can provide.
    Kind regards, Chris

  2. I have a fifth wheel trailer with a dry weight 11,200lbs and a Dodge Powerwagon 3/4ton 5.7L Hemi with 4.56 gears in it, if I put air bags on the truck for leveling the trailer would the Department of Transportation in BC also recognize the added ability for more weight on the truck? Please contact me ASAP if you require more information to help me out with this. Thank you for your time.

    • Hi there Cindy,

      Let me pass your question along to the good folks in the Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement Branch. They should have the answer for you.

      You can also contact them directly:
      Vehicle Inspections & Standards
      Phone: 250-952-0577
      Fax: 250-952-0578

      Commercial Transport
      Phone: 250-953-4017
      Fax: 250-952-0578

      • Hi Cindy,

        We asked Steve and here is what he had to say:

        Great question and one that comes up frequently.
        Both the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations and the Commercial Transport Act Regulations prohibit any vehicle from exceeding the Manufacturer axle ratings and/or the Manufacturer Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings(GVWR for short). These maximum manufacturer numbers can be found typically on a compliance sticker located on the driver’s side door post of the vehicle. The manufacturers have tested all aspects of the vehicle from suspension, steering, braking components, axle components (the list goes on) to determine the maximum weights the entire vehicle can safely handle under most driving conditions. By changing one component, there is no way to be sure that those same safety standards can be complied with.

        The legislation reads in a way that you cannot exceed the manufacturers ratings. In order to carry more weight after altering a vehicle you would need to have the manufacturer reassess your vehicle to determine if they will affix a new vehicle rating.

        To sum it up, regardless of what might be perceived as allowing extra weight by the addition of not originally manufactured parts, the vehicle will still be limited by the original manufacturer’s weight ratings affixed to the vehicle.

        Hope that this helps!

  3. Hello
    I will be driving a 14′ U Haul van containing my household goods from California to my new home in Alaska. Along with the van, I will also tow my car on a 20′ trailer.
    Please tell me if I am required to stop at weigh stations and what are their exact locations so that I can enter them into my GPS unit.
    Thank You

    • Hi Dennis,

      We have spoken with the Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement and they informed us that you will be required to report to the weigh scales. If the truck you rent does not have BC on the apportioned cab, you will need to obtain a permit prior to entering BC. They suggested that you check with the rental company to see if they have trucks pro rated for BC.

      Here is the contact information for the permit centre: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/permits.html or call 1-800-559-9688

      And here are the locations of the weigh scales:http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/weigh2GoBC/maps.html

      You might not pass through all of them during your move, if you have any other questions feel free to contact: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/index.htm


      Head Office/Director’s Office
      PO Box 9250 STN PROV GOVT
      Victoria BC V8W 9J2
      Phone: 250-952-0577
      Fax: 250-952-0578

      Hope that this helps!