Weighing In with the CVSE: No Such Thing as a Silly Question

commercial vehicle safety enforcement

Do you have a question for the CVSE? Contact them directly here.

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement Branch (CVSE) makes sure commercial carriers comply with the regulations surrounding moving goods across the province. It is a vital component of the work we do here in the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. Steve Bauer, former Supervisor of the Nordel Weigh Scale in the Lower Mainland, took time to answer some questions about his position and the role of the CVSE in keeping commercial transportation moving safely across the province.

CVSE staffer Steve Bauer answers trucking questions
Steve’s “Official Pose”

Q: What does a day in the life of a CVSE officer look like?

A: Actually, no two days here are ever really alike. The station is a constantly changing environment with new faces and new scenarios on a daily basis. Did you know that the Nordel Weigh Scale sees approximately 350 trucks per hour? That adds up to an incredible amount of volume in a single day.

Traffic volumes like that require a tight knit team and I can honestly say that we have a real camaraderie here at the station. I am currently supported by seven (soon to be nine) full time staff. Our Commercial Transport Inspector, whose position resides solely at the scale, will be joined by two more full time Inspectors at the end of March. There also are four Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers (CTEOs) at the station. They have a unique hybrid role which allows them to be both mobile and stationary at the scale when required. In addition to those officers, we recently welcomed two new staff members to our team who are in the training process to become CTEOs. Commercial Transport Enforcement Officers spend the majority of their day on the road seeking out evasive offenders who do not check into the weigh scales. Their patrol is focussed on, but not limited to: Delta, Richmond, New Westminster and Burnaby.

Q: Which leads to our next question; could you explain why the CVSE is so invaluable to the safety of the travelling public?

A: CVSE officers are, quite literally, experts in the field of commercial vehicle transportation safety and regulation. The decisions they make regarding compliance and enforcement, keep the province’s highways safer for the motoring public. It doesn’t get much bigger than that.

Q: What sort of questions do you hear most often about Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement?

A: Actually, I hear a lot of questions and sometimes people think their question is kind of silly, so, would like to stress that there are no silly questions. It is important for everyone to know that CVSE officers are here to answer any questions they might have and to use us as much as possible. We are trained in a variety of Provincial Acts and Regulation, Policies and Procedures which allows us to help educate drivers and would rather answer a hundred silly questions, than have to enforce compliance because no one asked.

Steve has been working with the CVSE for 13 years, and before joining the team, he worked in the trucking industry, driving North/South between Oregon, Washington and BC. His experience in the commercial trucking industry gives him the ability to understand life behind the wheel as well as life behind the scale. Thanks for sharing Steve!

If you have some questions about CVSE and the work they do, check out their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Page.

Page 1 of 181 comments on “Weighing In with the CVSE: No Such Thing as a Silly Question”

1. Can a net weight be changed on a truck? I just purchased a truck and net weight is way high its a 3 ton truck and I have the same truck which the net weight is way lower so I think it’s false for the net weight to be that high.

2. Hi, some of using fog light in normal weather which caused so inconvenienced to the opposite traffic. Just want to is there any law prohibiting drivers not to use fog lights in normal weather.

3. Hi. I have a five ton straight truck that I registered in BC as non commercial as I am converting it into a dwelling (tiny home). My question is do I still need to stop at weigh scales since I am not registered as or using the truck for commercial use? It is not for hire. Thank you.

• Hi there Adrian – thanks for your question. All commercial vehicles with a licensed GVW exceeding 5,500 kg are required to report to scales, including those being used for bobtailing. Vehicles are checked at the scales for important safety items. These items remain important regardless of whether the vehicle is being used temporarily for personal use. Here’s a link with more info: https://www.cvse.ca/faqs.htm

4. I need to get my car weighed for insurance purposes here in BC. Never heard of this before? Can I do this at a weight scale?
    Thanxs

5. Hi
    I have a 3500 licensed farm vehicle in Alberta with a GVW of 17000 kg , this is a not for hire vehicle ,
    there is no signs or weights on the side of the vehicle. What do i need to do to go to Vancouver to pick up farm supplies , are you required to run a log book ,pre trip etc. I will be pulling a trailer
    Thx

6. HI There, I just bought a new Ram 3500, it is not a dually and I registered in my company name and my personal name jointly. The Insurance agent at the dealership said I cannot have it rated for business use without a nsc number ( I am a property developer and Just wanted a bigger truck than My 1/2 ton). I do not haul gods commercially, but she said the NVIS card from MFR reads it as over 5000 kg. The weight is 3575kg , and she calculated it by 1.5X . Now she told me I also need a NSC number ! is this correct? she registered my truck as a GVW of 5363 Kg. and she also said I need to post the weight in a decal on my brand new truck , Is this correct ?

7. Hello, if I have a pick-up truck that is licensed / with a gvw of 5,500kg or over with a nsc #, do I require over a class 5 drivers license if it is empty?

8. If I am renting a moving truck to move my household goods from one location to another in BC, am I required to stop at weigh stations?

• Good morning, Elaine

Thanks for your question. The requirement to report to an open vehicle inspection station is if the vehicle has a licenced GVW greater than 5,500 kg. You can find this information on the inside of your rental vehicle door, or you can ask the rental company. Hope that this is helpful.

• Hi Bev – sorry, I don’t understand your question. Are you speaking as a commercial driver or general driver? Can you please rephrase your question?

9. Non commercial tractor trailer 6 axles. GVW 36000 KG. Do we have to fil out a dvir & log book. Its a private vehicle hauling my own goods.

• Hello Kev – here’s what we heard back from the CVSE:

The only requirement for decaling under the NSC program in BC is the name of the carrier:
      Name of carrier to be marked on business vehicle.

37.071 A carrier who holds a safety certificate must ensure that whenever a business vehicle in respect of which that safety certificate is held is being operated on a highway, the name of the carrier who holds the safety certificate for the vehicle is displayed on both sides of the vehicle
      (a)in one or both of letters and figures at least 5 cm high, and
      (b)in a manner that makes that name clearly visible to the public.
      [en. B.C. Reg. 414/99, s. 9.]

Alberta does require TARE/GVW, etc.

We hope that this information is helpful. Safe travels.

• Hi John. The maintenance contractor, in the course of snow removal, does not need to report to scales (as stated in the maintenance agreement). The maintenance contractor is also exempted from size in the Commercial Transport Act Regulations 7.04(2).

Any other snow plows over 5,500 kg are required to report to weigh scales.

10. Hi CVSE Does a semi-trailer with a 20 ton load have to report to a scale in BC to cross the border into the United States. Thank You Mel

11. Hi, I drive a company 2020 Ford F350 pick up truck. Are we required to report to the scales when not towing or carrying anything in the box? There is mixed messages within the compnay that we are still required to drive through the inspection facility but no on the scale lane. I just wanted to confirm if this is a legal requirement? Thanks.

• Good afternoon Todd,

Thanks for your question. All commercial vehicles with a licensed GVW exceeding 5,500 kg are required to report to scales. Vehicles are checked at the scales for important safety items, even when they are not towing or carrying anything in their box. Hope that this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, we encourage you to find the number of the nearest scale station to you. They would be happy to answer any questions. Here’s the list of contact info:

12. I am driving a small 4×4… and have an apporx 1500 LB travel trailer … Am I allowed to use the truck scales to check my weight? Can I come when the scale is open or do I need to use it when it is closed to minimize disruption to commercial users.

• Hi Gareth – thanks for connecting with us here. You are free to use the scales however, inspection stations are complemented with mobile patrol units. Therefore station hours vary due to patrol, staffing and operational requirements. We are posting a link to inspection stations below and encourage you to call before you head out, to make sure the scale is open.

13. I have a motor home that I would like to check to make sure it is not over loaded. Where can I go to get it weighed? I live in Prince George.

14. Hey. Me and my wife are on a bike trip in BC and a friend of mine bought a semi here so we are picking it up and taking it back to sask with us. We will be bob tailing with my bike in the back. With it being non commercial and a private journey do we still have to stop at a scale. Many thanks.

• Hi Paul. If the semi/vehicle has a licensed GVW rating exceeding 5,500 kg, then it must report to the weigh scales in BC. Safe travels!

15. 1. Is there a requirement for additional class of BC Drivers Licence on non-commercial oversize load?

2. Where can I hire a contractor to weigh my custom built trail prior to moving it from site of manufacture relative to GVW for insurance purposes?

• Hi Shawn – these are great questions – thanks for connecting here with us about them. We think you might be best to connect directly with the CVSE about them though, as they might have some further questions for you. Here’s their contact info: CVSEgeneralinquiry@gov.bc.ca

• Hello again Vik,

Fog lights are considered an optional light and a fog light violation would not consider the vehicle out of service. Hope this is helpful!

16. I have 1 2018 Ram 1500 that weighs about 5200lbs, Manufacture rates the vehicle to tow 10,600lbs. I have a 9900lb GVW trailer that i will be towing for work use. Would I require an NSC code for this? I am slightly confused on if its just the weight rating of the truck or the combined weight.

• Hello Stuart and thanks for your message.

A NSC is required when the Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds 5000kgs (he references pounds) and the vehicle is being operated commercially. The Gross Vehicle Weight is the combined weight of the truck, trailer, and any load being carried. The minimum GVW a vehicle can be insured for with commercial insurance is 1.5x the net weight (which is just the vehicles weight).

If you do require business/commercial insurance, since we assume you aren’t hauling that much for personal use, you will need an NSC and can apply on our website here: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/national_safety_code/nsc_application.htm

17. Hi there, I have a new pickup truck and I have a camper that I want to weigh. Can I hit up any of the highway scales with an empty truck to weigh the truck, and then come back thru once the camper is on the truck to get the final weight of the camper ???

18. I would like to convert new 20 foot seacan(s) into pullable trailer on the roads. We also have a fabrication shop certified to the Canadian Welding Bureau Welders where this modification would take place. I would weld 2-5000lb or 2-7500 lb axles on the underside of the seacan with a hitch connection on the front. I would like to modify a few for mobile offices and a few for tool trailers on sites. The new seacans can carry a maximum of 10,000 lbs which would be over what we could carry on the roads. Our company fleet trucks are licensed for up to 8200 kg. I do not want to put the seacan on a flatdeck because then the total weight of the truck, occupants, trailer & seacan would be close to the 8200 kg limit. If acceptable, I would follow all highway regulations, width, height, lights, brakes, etc. Would there have to be an inspection performed before licensing? Would there be specific requirements you could email to me? Where would this inspection be performed in Prince George?

Thank-you

Mark

19. I have an f350 gvw of 8199kg and nsc#. I am considering buying a dump trailer with 9900lb gvw. Are there any concerns that I need be aware of? Do I require any licence upgrades?

• Hi Greg! Here’s what we heard back:

You will want to ensure you are not exceeding any of their manufacturers ratings for the power unit or trailer and that their licensed GVW is high enough to include the weight of the fully loaded truck and trailer. As for licensing, if you have a class 4 or 5 you would require a heavy trailer endorsement if the weight exceeds 4,600 kg. A trailer at 9900 lbs, which is 4,491 kg, would be just under that requirement.

20. Hello MOT representative

Given that I must include the weight of the flat deck trailer that I am towing within the GVW of my truck. Am i required to get NSC certification for myself and on my tow rig?

The total combined weight is under the 8200kg gvw (required for CVSE inspection) and the trailer is under the 4600kg (load included) for the special endorsement. this is all for personal use and will have no business, commercial or financial befit to myself as it is for towing SXS and quads for personal use only.

Kind regards
    Roy

21. Hello, my employer has a few trucks registered as commercial vehicles in Alberta and all vehicles are under 11,794kg. We are trying to get some work in BC and we are also incorporated in BC. If we were awarded a job and want to drive 2 Dodge Ram 5500 trucks(currently registered in AB as 11,793 Kgs) into the project site in BC, do we need to stop at the scales, maintain log books, or obtain a carrier profile? Thanks.

22. Can the public access the weigh scales? I am looking to weigh a newly purchased Airstream trailer. If so is it possible to weigh a vehicle during non-business hours?
    Thanks,

• Hi again Matthew,

Yes, the public is welcome to use the weigh scales to check their own weights, it would be a good idea call ahead to any of our weigh scales to give them a heads up and ask any questions you may have.

23. Are company purchased a Kenworth t880 2019 truck will have company names displayed on it , just wondering what else is required to be displayed to be in compliance ?

24. On the manufacturer’s information plate on the door of my single axle dump truck, the total GVWR is 10,800kg. The previous owner had it licensed for 15,400kg. Can I register it for more than 10,800kg?

• Hello again Alex,

THe CVSE has referenced their FAQ page: https://www.cvse.ca/references_publications/pdf/MV3231(082003)GVWR.pdf

“When you license a vehicle, you pay a basic road licensing fee based on the weight you plan to carry and tow. You may increase the amount you are licensed to carry by paying a higher fee; however, this does not mean the vehicle will be able to carry more weight.
        Vehicles cannot exceed the manufacturers GVWR. Since heavier vehicles cause more damage to the infrastructure of our roads, the owners of these vehicles are required to pay higher licensing fees to offset the cost of maintaining roads. You may notice that the licensed GVW on your insurance papers is higher than your vehicle’s GVWR. This occurs because the licensed weight (GVW) includes both the load you carry on, or in, your vehicle and the load you are towing. GVW refers to the weight you are licensed to carry and tow. GVWR refers to the weight your vehicle is designed to carry”

Basically even if you increase your licenced GVW/GVWR with ICBC it does not mean you can exceed the manufactured ratings.

25. Hi, if the scales are full and I would have to stop on the “highway” to wait to get in can I bypass? It would be extremely unsafe to stop on a highway with traffic doing highway speeds.

• Hi Rick,

Staff at scales are instructed to close operations before traffic backs up on the highway. It’s an offence to bypass a scale, but our staff are also instructed to use discretion — we don’t want to see anyone in a dangerous situation.

26. Hi there,

I was wondering if a maintainence issue is mentioned on the vehicle pretrip and I get pulled in, is that ticket on me or the company? Is it up to me to get maintenence done or the company?

27. Hi, the other day I weighted my truck & camper and ATV trailer at Hope BC after hours. The read out gave me the numbers, are they kilograms or pounds? Thx

• Good morning Brent – great question. All weights referred or displayed are in kilograms at our scales, as is all GVW licencing information on the ICBC documents as well as the data plate information on the vehicle itself, (usually on the doorpost) as well as the ratings displayed on the tires.

28. I will be hauling a 28 ft closed in trailer with my 1 ton truck to move my sister from Vancouver to alberta. Do I need to pull into the scales or can I just bypass them ? Also have the same question about my 37 ft fifth wheel holiday trailer.

• Hello again Dan,

In BC, all vehicles licensed over 5,500 kg must report to weigh scales, unless they have a “Way To Go” transponder and get a green light on it to bypass. You are more than welcome to report to check weights once loaded or if you have general questions. Hope that this helps!

29. I am hauling a trailer with a GVWR of 12000lbs (5400kgs). I don’t carry that much weight in the trailer. Do I require anything more than a Class 5 licence to haul? Just so long as it hasn’t been loaded to it’s max.

30. Hello again;

I am going to be buying an old single axle dump truck and licencing it for only 8000kg
    because I will mostly be using it off road except for the occasional trip to the dump
    with my own yard waste and prunings. Do I still need to obtain an NSC number?
    A National Safety Code number is needed by all “Carriers” licenced over 5000kg but
    I wonder if I will be considered a Carrier if I am only hauling my own stuff?

31. Hi,
    I have a cube van with GVWR 5580 , I want to reduce it, because I do not need this GVWR and I pay more when I am taking the ferry to Victoria, Can I lower the GVWR, I never go more than 3700KG.
    Please let me know how can I do it?

32. Hello; I want to buy a 1981 International 5ton dump truck with hydraulic brakes, to haul
    my own stuff, such as yard waste and fill. Do I still need to have this truck complete
    a Commercial vehicle inspection? This particular truck has been parked for a couple of
    years so it does not have a current inspection certificate.

Thanks.

• Hello Robert,

We asked the CVSE your question and they let us know that Commercial Vehicles with a licenced gross vehicle weight of 8,201kg or more require a mandatory mechanical safety inspection annually. Even though you have indicated that you plan on using the vehicle for personal use, that doesn’t preclude you from the requirement of inspection. The inspection requirement is based on the type of vehicle and the weight it is licenced at. Hope this information is helpful.

33. For safety reasons, I wish to weigh my camper trailer to get the tow vehicle GVW, trailer axle weight, individual wheel weight and tongue weight and would like to go to the weigh scales at Yahk BC after hours so as not to impede traffic. Are the scales open/closed on a fixed schedule – how would I obtain this schedule?

34. I’m not from BC and have a weight question. I’m researching some information: What is the overall truck and trailer weight allowed when running within the province of BC. Also, what is the allowable axle weights for tandem truck with tridem 53″ van and alternately tridem reefer van.

Thank you for your help.

35. I am looking at buying a truck to clear snow and other uses on my property in the Okanagan – its GVW is 7500 kg. It will only be used for ‘personal’ uses – I will not be using for any commercial activities.

Do I need to take it through a scale?

Are there any other things I need to be aware of with a vehicle of this size that would not be obvious to ‘Joe average driver who has never owned a large vehicle before’?

Brad

• Hi Brad,

Thanks for connecting with us here and asking your questions. We think that you will get the most bang for your buck if you connect directly with the CVSE on this. That way you can have a bit of a back and forth via email. Here is their email address: Vehicle.Safety.Standards@gov.bc.ca

Hope that this helps!

36. I was reading through regulations and noticed that a trailer can be no wider than 2.6 meters, but there is an exemption for “loose” hay or straw to be up too 3.1 meters in width. Does this mean I could have 3 small rectangular bales of hay across the deck of my trailer as long as they are 3.1 meters or less in total width? I’m not sure what “loose” hay means, as if the hay was actually loose it would be flying all over the road, or if it means loose in the sense that it could be sticking over the edges of the trailer a little bit while being tied in a bale.

• Hello Mike,

This is from the Commercial Transport Regulations and has been there for years, probably when they moved hay, straw and fodder more than they do now:

Vehicle Width

7.06 A person must not, without a permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle having a total outside width in excess of 2.6 m, but not including the following as part of that width:
      (a) loose hay, straw or fodder projecting over the sides of the vehicle to a total outside width not in excess of 3.1m

We now have a section in the Commercial Transport Procedure’s Manual that deals with rectangular bales that allows 3.05 m wide with a permit. More information can be found at http://cvse.ca/CTPM/Chapter_4.pdf

Hope this helps.

37. Is it a legal requirement to put tare weights on gaylord boxes. We put net weight on box but not tare because of the fluctuation of moisture addition or subtraction to the skid and/or box

• Hello Kenneth,

This would actually be a question for ICBC or your insurance company when you are registering your vehicle and whether they determine it to be tare or net weight.

Hope that this helps!

38. Hi I have a 5 th wheel and truck and would like to find out the total weight CVWR .is there any where in the lower mainland i can do this .I live in Delta.
    thanks

Doug

39. Hi! I have an ’09 Kenworth T-800 that I’m planning on using to pull my RV. It will be licensed “not for hire,” and in my personal name not a company name so there will be no National Safety Code it will be under. I know a lot of people do it, and they don’t have to run log books or report to scales. It is commercial by design, but not commercially insured. What do I need to have for paperwork in case I get pulled over? A lot of the CVSE officers around here are new & in training so I’m thinking there may be issues.

• Hi Travis,

Thanks for your question about operating your Kenworth on a non-commercial basis. I’m checking in with our CVSE folks on this, and will get back to you here with an answer.

• Hi Brandon,
        Here’s the rule for tongue length… You need to measure from the center of the last axle on your power unit, to where the hitch is on the back of the power unit. The tongue length can be twice the amount of that measurement.

• Hi Travis,
      If you are NOT licenced commercially, and it says that on your insurance papers (ICBC won’t do this, but maybe you’re from outside the province) the rules of Commercial Transport do not apply. The National Safety Code does not require log books in these circumstances, and folks at our inspection stations say they do not stop or pursue vehicles that are recreational. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of this, please contact CVSE Team Lead Darryl Neville, at Darryl.Neville@gov.bc.ca or 250-953-4011.

40. Hi,
    I have a 1992 F-Superduty with a 16′ aluminum ITB box that I converted into an RV. The GVWR on the registration states 4999KG, but I suspect it might weigh more than that.The max GVWR on the builders plate states 7300 KG. Do I need to have the truck weighed and up the licensed weight if it exceeds 4999 KG?

• Hi Colin,

Thanks for your comment. We shared it forward with the good folks at the CVSE and they informed us that you should phone an inspection station and ask to be weighed and have a form CVSE1061 filled out to certify the weight of your vehicle with the addition of the box that is now built. If your weight exceeds your licenced GVW you can increase your licenced weight with ICBC. Hope that this helps!

41. Hi I’m looking for information on 5ton trucks no air brakes, I bought it to haul a small off-road vehicle (2000lbs) on the back, personal use not for hire, I was told that if I lowered the gvw will it still have to follow the commercial rules like scales or annual inspections, any information on insuring these vehicles or things I should know would be appreciated

• Hello Mike,

The CVSE replied directly to you but we are sharing the response here just in case anyone else has the same question.

Any vehicle licenced over 5,500kg must report to weigh scales. Inspection requirements don’t start until 8,200kg. The licencing of your vehicle must include the net weight plus the weight you want to haul.

More information can be found at http://www.cvse.ca and http://www.icbc.com

Hope that this helps!

42. I am planning to purchase and import a military deuce and a half for personal private not for hire use do I have to stop at scales they are approx 11000kgs empty I do have a class 1 and want to know so if I go camping or such with it wether or not I have to stop it will no be used for commercial purposes just camping hunting and having fun

• Hi Jay,

In order for your deuce to be legal for travel on BC highways, it can’t be any wider than 8’6” wide or 2.6 metres, or higher than 4.15 metres. When importing a vehicle into British Columbia you must have it inspected at an authorized inspection facility. Because it weighs more than 5,500kg and is a commercial vehicle by definition in the CTA “a motor vehicle having permanently attached to it a truck or delivery body” you must report to all open inspection stations (weigh scales). Hope that this helps!

43. question if my box truck is registered 7000 lbs gvw in pa but the door says 10000gvw do i use 10000 gvw in other states for personal use not business

• Hi Kevin,

It sounds like you are asking a question which would be best posed to the US Department of Transportation. If you meant to ask after GVW regulations in Canadian provinces, let us know and we will try to help.

44. I will be towing a trailer weighing 21,000 lbs. My hitch is only rated for 15,000. Would this still be legal as long as my hitch weight does not exceed it’s rated capacity?

45. Sir I am looking to buy a 5 ton truck and start by becoming a contractor.i have recently got a class 5 license.My question is how to obtain a Nsc certificate given I will be the one operating a truck and what are the exemptions would a 5 ton carrier would get?

46. Can an Oil/Propane fuel truck that delivers fuel to a home to provide heat, hot water or cooking fuel get a special permit or permission to exceed the 50% seasonal road ban weights in an emergency where as the customer will run out of fuel before the seasonal road bans are lifted? As this would be an essential service.

47. Is a commercial vehicle required to stop at every weigh station on its route and what information is recorded and kept when a commercial vehicle stops at the weigh station?

• Hello Amanda,

Commercial vehicle regulation regarding stops at weigh stations is listed below. Also, there is no record kept at the weight station unless there is a ticket or notice and order given to the driver. Hope that this helps!

Scales
      7.03 (1) The driver of a vehicle on a highway, when so required by a peace officer or by any person authorized by the minister, must
      (a) stop the vehicle at the time and place specified by the peace officer or authorized person for the purpose of weighing the whole or part of the vehicle by means of stationary or portable scales, measuring the dimensions of the vehicle and load, measuring and inspecting the tires, inspecting the load carried, or for any other purpose under the Act or these regulations,
      (b) stop the vehicle if the vehicle or the load it is carrying is, in the opinion of the peace officer or the inspector, unsafe for operation on the highways and fix the defect in the vehicle or secure the load, as the case may be, before proceeding,
      (c) drive the vehicle onto the nearest public stationary or portable scales for the purpose of weighing the vehicle and load, or
      (d) rearrange the load on the vehicle or remove the whole or part of the load from the vehicle in order to comply with the provisions of the Act, regulations or permit before continuing to drive or operate the vehicle.
      (2) The driver of a vehicle on a highway, when directed by a traffic sign on the highway to report to scales, must drive the vehicle onto the scales for the purpose of weighing the whole or part of the vehicle by means of stationary or portable scales, measuring the dimensions of the vehicle and load, measuring and inspecting the tires, inspecting the load carried, or for any other purpose under the Act or these regulations.
      (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the driver of a commercial vehicle of a licensed gross vehicle weight not exceeding 5 500 kg.

48. Hello sir I am truck driver from Surrey BC. My question is can we pick 20 feet loaded cointaner on back of a combo Chasis pls reply thanks.

49. One of our trucks received a TVR for not having a GVW and Tare displayed.
    The truck was just DOT inspected in June and they did not request it at that time.
    We drive several trucks that do not have it displayed, and it has never been an issue, and we have a history of compliance.
    What is the correct ruling, and how do we go about complying if that is required?

Jack

• Hi Jack,

Thank you for connecting with us. We have sent your question directly to the CVSE. Stay tuned for more information.

• Hi again Jack,

I believe the CVSE has responded to your question directly but wanted to confirm that having the GVW or tare weight displayed is not a requirement for a commercial vehicle in British Columbia.

50. I am borrowing my son in laws 1 ton truck and trailer to move some of my parents belongings to alberta This is his company truck will I need a log book and have to stop at the scales?

• Hi again Glenn,

The CVSE has just responded to you directly, but we wanted to share that response here for others in case they have the same question.

The law reads that any vehicle licenced for over 5,500kg by law must report to all open vehicle inspection stations to be weighed. You can find the licence GVW of the truck on the registration.

In regards to log books, if you have a letter signed by the registered owner, that you are moving personal goods, you are exempt from log books.

Hope that this helps and thanks for connecting with us here!

51. If a truck (lease Operator) is running under an NSC number for the company it is hauling for and an over-dimensional permit needs to be purchased, does the permit go under the NSC number that the truck is registered too, or can it go under the lease operators own personal number?

• Hi Deb,

Thanks for connecting with us here. We have shared your comment forward with the good folks at the CVSE and they will send you an answer directly to your email.

52. My question is and I’m calling audition general this morning on it is why does does the scale and police not swipe truckers file cards to confirm rules and hours of service

• Hi Jon,

I am not sure I understand the question you are trying to ask. Do you mean the Auditor General? Are you looking to confirm if we have a swipe card system to track truckers hauling info? Let us know and we will try to get you an answer. Thanks!

53. I have a 5 ton truck with a tare weight of approx. 8700kgs. Insurance company says i need to multiply that by 1.5 to get my lowest gvw. which is aprox. 13000 kgs. But I am hauling light materials and only need a 11500 kgs gvw. Am I allowed to lower my gvw. if so how do i go about it?

54. Hi,I looking for some information on becoming a cvse officer. Would like to know what kind of education or training I would need.thanks

55. Hello,

I am wondering if the requirement to has the company name and GVWR on the door of a commercial vehicle still exists, and where I can find that in the regulations.

• Hi Mark,
      In the National Safety Code…. Division 37 of the MVA Regulations…as follows…key phrase “who holds a safety certificate”…if you have an NSC number you need to comply.

Name of carrier to be marked on business vehicle
      (a) in one or both of letters and figures at least 5 cm high, and
      (b) in a manner that makes that name clearly visible to the public.
      [en. B.C. Reg. 414/99, s. 9.]

No BC requirement for weight posting but some jurisdciation may require it. NSC tells us that placing of NSC number is not encouraged. Name, in contrasting colors 2 inches (5cm) big suffices…each side.

Hope that helps.

56. Are uhaul trucks considered commercial,vehicles? According to uhaul, they are not, but according to bc ferries, whole different story. They want to charge the commercial rate. These are private individuals, mostly, moving their own furniture/property. Thanks

• Hello,

Thanks for connecting with us. Here’s the scoop:

The Commercial Transport Act provides this definition: A commercial vehicle” includes
      (a) a motor vehicle having permanently attached to it a truck or delivery body

The Motor Vehicle Act, which applies to all vehicles operated on provincial roads, picks up that same definition of a commercial vehicle. Different programs and branches of government would treat these vehicles differently depending on the purpose of the program or service, and your specific question about BC Ferries’ policies should likely be addressed to them.

For CVSE, some requirements, such as the requirement to stop at scales, are applied using the registered weight of the vehicle (vehicles over 5500kg GVW ). You can find signs to this effect at scales across the province.

In most cases, a scale inspector is going to be pretty uninterested in close examination of a U-Haul type vehicle. Typically, trucks loaded with personal household items would we well within legal weights as set out in Appendix B of the Commercial Transport Regulations.

Still, depending what you loaded into it, there is potential to significantly overload a vehicle with a large carrying box on the back, and a vehicle loaded that way could be unsafe. In that case, it would be in the interest of the driver, and the other traffic on the road, for the enforcement staff to let the driver know he is running heavy.

Hope that this helps!

57. So, I have a one ton Dually with a heavy double axle flat deck that used to haul small excavators and Bob Cats. I have a 2/4 ton pick up loaded on it.
    Do I need to cross the scales? Weights are all within limits.

58. I was asked to deliver a 3/4T truck on a commercial car trailer towed with a 1 ton dually Duramax GMC. Weights are all legal
    Do I need to report to the scales?

59. I am looking to purchase a 5 tonne truck with air brakes.

• Hi there,

Here is the response our staff in the CVSE. Hope it helps and if you need any further information, please let us know.

Q. I am looking to purchase a 5 tonne truck with air brakes. What are some things I should take into consideration before purchasing(in regards to the scale requirements or CVSE) pre-trip inspections required after what GVW? Daily log report required after what GVW?

A. Safety Certificate required;
      For a truck or truck tractor with a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 5 000 kg. A 5 Ton truck would require a National Safety Code Certificate (NSC), which means a certificate issued under section 37.04 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.

The application to attain the NSC Certificate and all pertinent information is available on line at cvse.ca. or for more information, call; 1 (250) 953-4010. The applicant must demonstrate to have the knowledge of motor vehicle safety rules and regulations as they apply in British Columbia. The pertinent legislation is found in Division 37 of the Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations, which is also available to our clients on the CVSE website http://www.cvse.ca/

1. Trip Inspection Requirements:

a. A 2 axle vehicle with a licensed gross vehicle weight exceeding 14 600 kg requires a written trip inspection record.

b. A 2 axle vehicle with a licensed gross vehicle weight not exceeding 14 600 kg is exempt from having to produce a written trip inspection record; however a trip inspection of the vehicle must be done daily; a written record is not required in this case.

2. Hours of Service Records:

A commercial motor vehicles with a licensed gross vehicle weight or gross vehicular weight of over 5 000 kilograms and under 11 795 kilograms is exempt from this part and;

3. Logbook Records:

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations Div. 37.18.01 (1) reads; A carrier must require every driver to fill out and every driver must fill out a daily log each day that accounts for all of the driver’s on-duty time and off-duty time for that day.
      (2) This section does not apply if
      (a) the driver operates or is instructed by the carrier to operate a commercial motor vehicle within a radius of 160 km of the home terminal,
      (b) the driver returns to the home terminal each day to begin a minimum of 8 consecutive hours of off-duty time, and
      (c) the carrier maintains accurate and legible records showing, for each day, the driver’s duty status and elected cycle, the hour at which each duty status begins and ends and the total number of hours spent in each status and keeps those records for a minimum period of 6 months after the day on which they were recorded.

For further interpretation please review the complete information available on the CVSE site at http://www.cvse.ca/

60. hi.
    I have a 3/4 ton pickup truck that has a gvw weight of 4000 kgs. Is it possible to up the gvw to 5001 kgs. and if so how do you go about doing so? Thanks

• Hi Marshall – thanks for the question! Your best option is to contact the CVSE directly about your idea. Here is there contact information:
      Head Office/Director’s Office
      PO Box 9250 STN PROV GOVT
      Victoria BC V8W 9J2
      Phone: 250-952-0577
      Fax: 250-952-0578
      CVSEgeneralinquiry@gov.bc.ca

• Put 1001kg of bricks in the back. Then your gvw goes up.
      probably what you want to do is increase your licensed gross vehicle weight…in this case go into an autoplan agent and ask for it. Congratulations you just learned how to avoid air care. Dont ask for 5500kg or over unless you like stopping at the scales

61. Hi,
    I have recently moved from Toronto, Ontario to Duncan, BC. My household possessions are being shipped by a professional removals company. They will arrive in Vancouver very soon where they will offload the truck/trailer and put onto another truck/trailer for onward delivery to my address on the island. Now, my question is whether am I able to utilize the scale weighing facilities just outside of Duncan to weigh the truck before and after my possession are removed? I would like to be present on both occasions to inspect the results. The reason for this is because I am disputing the weight amount of my possessions claimed by the company…not just by a bit but double!!
    Thank you for any help/advice you can provide.
    Kind regards, Chris

62. I have a fifth wheel trailer with a dry weight 11,200lbs and a Dodge Powerwagon 3/4ton 5.7L Hemi with 4.56 gears in it, if I put air bags on the truck for leveling the trailer would the Department of Transportation in BC also recognize the added ability for more weight on the truck? Please contact me ASAP if you require more information to help me out with this. Thank you for your time.

• Hi there Cindy,

Let me pass your question along to the good folks in the Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement Branch. They should have the answer for you.

You can also contact them directly:
      Vehicle Inspections & Standards
      Phone: 250-952-0577
      Fax: 250-952-0578

Commercial Transport
      Phone: 250-953-4017
      Fax: 250-952-0578

• Hi Cindy,

We asked Steve and here is what he had to say:

Great question and one that comes up frequently.
        Both the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations and the Commercial Transport Act Regulations prohibit any vehicle from exceeding the Manufacturer axle ratings and/or the Manufacturer Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings(GVWR for short). These maximum manufacturer numbers can be found typically on a compliance sticker located on the driver’s side door post of the vehicle. The manufacturers have tested all aspects of the vehicle from suspension, steering, braking components, axle components (the list goes on) to determine the maximum weights the entire vehicle can safely handle under most driving conditions. By changing one component, there is no way to be sure that those same safety standards can be complied with.

The legislation reads in a way that you cannot exceed the manufacturers ratings. In order to carry more weight after altering a vehicle you would need to have the manufacturer reassess your vehicle to determine if they will affix a new vehicle rating.

To sum it up, regardless of what might be perceived as allowing extra weight by the addition of not originally manufactured parts, the vehicle will still be limited by the original manufacturer’s weight ratings affixed to the vehicle.

Hope that this helps!

63. Hello
    I will be driving a 14′ U Haul van containing my household goods from California to my new home in Alaska. Along with the van, I will also tow my car on a 20′ trailer.
    Please tell me if I am required to stop at weigh stations and what are their exact locations so that I can enter them into my GPS unit.
    Dennis

• Hi Dennis,

We have spoken with the Commercial Vehicle Safety Enforcement and they informed us that you will be required to report to the weigh scales. If the truck you rent does not have BC on the apportioned cab, you will need to obtain a permit prior to entering BC. They suggested that you check with the rental company to see if they have trucks pro rated for BC.

Here is the contact information for the permit centre: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/permits.html or call 1-800-559-9688

And here are the locations of the weigh scales:http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/weigh2GoBC/maps.html

You might not pass through all of them during your move, if you have any other questions feel free to contact: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/index.htm

or